Critique Request pointer bulino

sinan

2x3 cm steel key fob engraved by only dots by Phil Coggan template.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 268

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
very nice result. i think you have captured the spirit in this dog.

dhall

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Phil sent Steve Lindsay one of the gravers sharpened the way he uses it for bulino. Steve reverse-engineered the graver and makes/sells a sharpening template to replicate Phil's bulino graver.

ungiven1

I am not trying to be mean or hurt anyone feelings. you asked . and please when I post my first pics be blunt or ill never improve.

, at first glance lets say at party or a pass by , I would be "wow" where did you get such a piece. it truly is a first glace amazement piece.
After further looking; the dogs right nostril seams small compared to the left in which case the right one is closer there for be bigger than the left.so I took some time to figure out why. They eye is done so perfectly but its off center an a bit high to the left . Which is suspect made you force the nose shadow up the head from then nose to eye line looks to be about maybe 10 degrees then shoots up the forehead.

Great shadowing the effect is there. Dot work must have taken time, good things come to those who practice.
? why did you do this on a pendent where the dog is facing down?

Thank you for posting. please post more I like seeing others works.

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is very good Sinan and I can see that you can only get better as you go along!

Dot work is very time consuming and for pendents etc it can be used to great effect, guns also, but one has to bare in mind that if it's a shooter as opposed to a collectors piece, the dotwork can wear in time with cleaning etc.

One of the main problems with dots is the grainy look, you will find that in time you will be able to put dots by the side of your other dots to smooth things out. I notice that your picture is dark, this leads me to believe that the dog itself is light to look at. Producing various tones of grey with dots is relatively easy compared to lines which are unforgiving.

One of the areas you need to concentrate on is defination, where areas need to be defined compared to the smooth parts, ie. the line you have around the mouth is good, it stands out, this should be seen also in the dark crease of the ear etc, but this will come in time.

Here's a similar dog I did over twenty years ago, the difference is that it's all lines, some very short, the picture doesn't do the engraving justice as it was taken with a 35mm and not by me.

Hope this helps.

Phil

Dog 1.jpg
Dog detail.jpg

sinan

Thank to all for your comments. I like the forum because I have no other change to get critique and recommends in here.

Phil, I had taken this photo at night and the metal was shining under the light and I reduced the exposure compensation to all down to make the photo to visible.
I've taken this photo on day light without changing the exposure compensation. It is difficult to take photo of bulino engravings.
What a great thing that getting your comments fromm miles away thank you very much.

ungiven1, This was key holder and I engraved it for practice. I noticed after your comment for the nostrils and eyes and will try to be difficult about them. Thank you very much for your help.

Sinan

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
It's good to see honest, constructive criticism vs. the normal "Attaboy !", which family, friends and the average passerby normally attach to our work.
Without it, one gets complacent thinking they have achieved perfection and ceases to improve on their work.
As stated, you ARE headed in the right direction, just keep trying to improve with each piece.

Latest posts

Sponsors