Extreme makeover...rolling block edition

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't usually post WIP pictures but I really like how this design is coming together and it's a neat project. The gun is a Remington model 4 rolling block. It was originally chambered in 32 rimfire and has been converted to 327 federal magnum. This gun is getting a total make over. The engraving is my version on English rose and scroll. For those curious, the action in about 3" long and the rose cluster measures approximately 3/8" diameter not including the frills 5/8" including the frills

Added a better picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was originally going to do a Nimschke style on this gun, but felt it was too bold for such a small canvas; although the Nimschke book shows some similar actions done by him. Plus I really like rose and scroll

Riflesmith

Elite Cafe Member
Attended a gun show last weekend and there was an Italian gentleman there with a number of old colts, winchesters, Remingtons, etc. all with Nimschske, Young and Ulrich original engraving on them. I do t remember the gentleman's name but he had a beautiful collection. Maybe someone on the cafe here knows who this gentleman is?

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks David. The flower cluster is pretty simple to do. It's all laid out with circles and I lightly sketch in the shapes of the flowers. It's pretty delicate cutting which I find easiest to execute nicely with a traditional push graver. I think it adds to the realism by not making every petal and flower exactly alike. I purposefully make the flowers have slight irregularities.

Last edited:

Sponsors