Question: Transfer wax by Sam

Marcelo

Elite Cafe Member
I bought the wax transfer by Sam Alfano and I am finding it very dense. What is the proper consistency and how to make it?
Thanks.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
+Unless you are trying to file the cut lines for transfer. then after all the lines are filled you slightly dampen a piece of card stock and burnish it into the clean off image. I would suggest that you get Sam's transfer video to see the correct ways to transfer made very clear. Fred

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
Marcelo: You need to warm it up. When I know I'm going to use it, I put it in my arm pit or my pocket. Sometimes I sit on it for awhile and let my body heat soften it up. You can also sit it in a shallow pan of warm water. It will become a lot easier to use by warming it up.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The friction of rubbing it with your thumb is normally sufficient unless it's extremely cold.

Marcelo

Elite Cafe Member
I appreciate the kindness and readiness of all.
Thanks for all.
Best regards.

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Marcelo you are right the stuff is really hard, here in Canada you would say close to a hockey puck. As Sam has stated it takes just a small amount of friction to make it workable. As well you only need a little to do a lot. The wax works great for transferring and giving a hazy surface too draw through. Personally I use it more for drawing, such as adding shade lines or changing small details. If you don't like your results a swipe or dab and it is ready to be reworked. Now the scriber used should have a smoother tip, rounded off smooth so as to not scratch. I believe Sam has a video showing this and the scriber. Once you get using it you will like it.
Good luck
Eric

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i use sams' wax. yes, it is a bit hard, but it works. there are times i want a softer wax. at that time i just go with an idea from the shop of mike dubber. he formulated some with common chapstick and graphite powder. be forewarned-- if you ever do mr. dubbers' formula, do NOT use mentholated chapstick ! don't ask how i know.

Marcelo

Elite Cafe Member
The excellence of the people of this forum is impressive.
All looking for the best answers.
thanks a lot.

Latest posts

Sponsors