Question: Dark background without relief engraving ?

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi,

is it possible to give dark effect for negative spaces without making background removal.

I tried stippling with a very thin ( needle point ) and sharp engraver, I get a closer result as I wish but it is not still as good as I need.

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
You actually proceed as you would do with deep relief, of course the tool need to be sharp but you do not want a heavy stippling, it will break the point too fast, a light touch will give you a dark, well texture, background. Actually one of the reason I do not use black filler for my background, relief or not is because I like to see the texture of the background, dark gray texture background will give a good contrast because the texture and the color enhanced each other, dark gray vs white, smooth vs polish.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
i like darkened background. a plain, stippled effect is also nice. if the stippling is done properly, it looks just as attractive. if there's a lot of background, i much prefer just stippling.

monk

Staff member
fred mentioned the star effect. if you stipple with a point that has 3 or 4 facets, your work can really look much better. it's all about how the light reflects back to the eye when viewed. i think sam posted about this some time ago. make a few different stipple points. do the same pattern, but use the different points. you will likely see an improvement from one of them.

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
SalihKara: Use a single line background, lines placed close to each other, all running in the same direction. Done right it will lower the background.

Jay Close

Lately, I've been paying attention to the ornamental engraving done on the metal (usually silver and nickel silver) mounts of Scottish bagpipes.

A darkened background is achieved at least seven ways: (1) close lining as described above; (2) using a liner tool to effect the same sort of texture as close lining; (3) wriggling in one basic direction; (4) wriggling then cross-wriggling roughly perpendicular to the run of the first pass; (5) punch stippling with a single point tool; (6) matting the background with a textured flat punch; and (7) massed stabbing cuts with a the point of a graver.

In my experiments, the most texture with the least work is achieved by wriggling then cross-wriggling.

I hope this helps some.

Latest posts

Sponsors