Appreciation thread

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
It's not often that people acknowledge tips & tricks or specific answers that take some serious time/effort to write...

I would bet that more people would take that time and contribute what they may know - if they saw more results that indicated that someone was getting some real use out of what was posted.

I've seen at least 20 experienced forum members quit participating over the years - because they never saw any appreciation or acknowledgement for the help that they were offering.

Brian
Brian and every other forum member that takes the time to help us learn and understand this art, I just like to say thank you for everything you do here, every hint, tip, instruction, that you provide makes us
want to keep on going, Brian every time I click the like button, I know that it does not show the appreciation that I would like it to show, but rest assure that it is meant with the biggest thank you in mind, not only for your trouble(or is it "issue"?) but also for the humor that seems to come so easy to you, you always crack me up!!, I am sure I'm not the only one,
Thank you to all of you for making it easier for us,

cheers Mates.

Richard.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Brian every time I click the like button, I know that it does not show the appreciation that I would like it to show, but rest assure that it is meant with the biggest thank you in mind
Richard.

What I dislike about the LIKE button is people using it instead of typing a thank-you. I've been guilty of it myself, and have considered getting rid of it for that reason. The LIKE button has its place, but is a lazy substitute for a nicely worded thank you that shows appreciation.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Ironically, I click the damn thing myself! Just did...

It's kinda hard to think of something intelligent to say when you are drooling over one of Phil Coggan's images.

Thanks for the compliments Richard.

I am well aware that some of my humor is a little dark and sometimes gets bent towards cynicism.

Maybe someday I'll get around to working on that... maybe I won't?

Glad you can see through it and get a chuckle out of it.

Even if I choose to use you as a target down the road...

Brian

Last edited:

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
It's kinda hard to think of something intelligent to say when you are drooling over one of Phil Coggan's images.

Brian

That's where the like button is a good thing. Who wants to read 50 wow's ect? I'm sure Phil or any other "pro" doesn't post pics for compliments..actual help deserves a proper thankyou.

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
From me personally i would like to thank all the contributors to the forum for their time, information, patience and kindness. It is your kindness and giving nature that enabled me to learn so fast without taking engraving classes. This forum as well as Steve's forum has been my class room.

Sam

Staff member
That's where the like button is a good thing. Who wants to read 50 wow's ect? I'm sure Phil or any other "pro" doesn't post pics for compliments..actual help deserves a proper thankyou.

I disagree. If you like Phil's post then I think you should tell him, even if it is a "wow". Just MHO.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian does not have a sense of humor. He just a cranky old curmudgeon. He has been teaching engraving and other metal arts for more than forty years. operated schools and commercial shops in Northern Mexico and Northern California for a great many years . stone setter, engraver, jewelry fabrication. blacksmithing, etc. I believe he has a complete saddle shop in storage trailer from the old days He is my go to guy. wished I didn't live over 2000 miles away. I think we could become friends. He has crippled his body in these endeavors but marches forward or rides 10 0r twenty miles a day on a bicycle doing his best to carry on for the most unselfish reasons. to be the best human being he can be. I always look for his comments and remarks. I truly appreciate what he has done. We have only communicated via the net and phone. He has always made the time. Thank You Brian. even if sometimes I just hit the like button. Ill do better at that though, Fred

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
To be honest, I've been trying to make myself use the "like" button more as I thought we were trying to cut down on so many one word, or very short posts without lots of content, just to say "thanks" or "very nice work", that kind of thing.

Todd

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Jeeze... now I have to think every time I hit the Like button... (is this enough, or should I write some real words?)

Maybe we should go back and erase all references to using it in place of actual words? Let us back off the hook.

Some guys on here can barely type (believe it or not, I am one of them) and quite a few don't trust the spel chucker yet.

Guess I'll also have invest in a coupla more dictionaries and thesauruses to find words that haven't been used 400 or 500 times to describe Phil's work?

How 'bout I use Spanish words for a while? Those haven't been worn out yet....

But I definitely have an issue with telling him how much his designs resonate.

Hopefully those plasticized Newspeak words stay confined to the USA.

Brian

Sam

Staff member
Back when I did Cafe Interviews, I had to politely ask members to COMMENT and say thank you because so many people clicked LIKE and that was it. I felt bad for the person being interviewed as they deserved more than that. As I said, the button has its place, but nothing beats a heartfelt thank-you instead of taking the path of least resistance.

Of course there are exceptions if someone can't use their fingers or can't type in English, etc.

Heres a novel idea...why not do both?

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
"Back when I did Cafe Interviews, I had to politely ask members to COMMENT and say thank you because so many people clicked LIKE and that was it. I felt bad for the person being interviewed as they deserved more than that. As I said, the button has its place, but nothing beats a heartfelt thank-you instead of taking the path of least resistance.

Of course there are exceptions if someone can't use their fingers or can't type in English, etc.

Heres a novel idea...why not do both?
"

This is a perfect example of why the Engravers Cafe remains such an outstanding, well run and loved forum.
Best.
John B.

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
Yes....THANK YOU SO MUCH for those that always answer my dumb questions!!! I really appreciate it from the bottom of my heart. Without this forum & the people that are willing to answer newbie questions, it's very difficult to progress on your engraving journey. Because not everybody can afford taking classes although I highly recommended. That's my story....

monk

Staff member
i've never used the button. there's been a few rare times i would have used a "dislike" button if there had been one. i think saying something with a push of a button is kind of "hollow", lame at best.
many times there's posts that i like, but don't comment. i think those people are already well aware of my appreciation of the work they do.

Latest posts

Sponsors