sterling buckle

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
As I understand, the large western buckles that are rectangular or oval shape called plate buckles. Those with a prong attached to a cross bar that extends through an open area are called frame buckles. I am not sure if I am using the correct buckle terms if there are standard names. Perhaps some one could inform us on correct terms if there are standard names for different types of buckles.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
<"Those with a prong attached to a cross bar that extends through an open area are called frame buckles.">

Mebee we've got a little East Coast/West Coast translation problem goin' on here? I can't make heads or tails out of that description...

Is there an image or a page you can direct me to that would enlighten me?

Brian

You might mean something like a 3 piece set? Buckle with tongue and crossbar? Plus loop and tip?

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
I think your referring to a "clipped corner buckle" maybe?

Here's is an example from the Tandy Leather website. I'd think you'd want 14 gauge.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
The style that Duane Graham did (and it is a very nice piece of work) would be called a 3 piece set.

For the logical reason being that there are 3 pieces involved. Or an end bar buckle with keeper & tip - if you are a leatherworker...

Normally 16 gauge for the buckle istself, 20 gauge for the loop & tip.

Brian

Sponsors