Books on Drawing Scrolls [quick question]

therue

Hello,

Having searched the forum, it seems most people are recommending the following items in regards to learning materials for drawing scrolls for engraving.

As someone who is interested in starting his journey and fascinated and in awe of the beauty of this craft, obviously I would love to buy them all... since there aren't that many books written on the subject anyway, and it's always nice to collect things you enjoy.

However, I was wondering if anyone have experience with most or all of these materials to perhaps help me make the decision on an initial purchase?

For example, Ron Smith has 2 books, and I know most people refer to his advanced book, but does that mean the advanced books contains everything from beginner to advanced and somewhat makes the other book less useful? or does the first book also contain unique information that are perhaps not in the advanced one?

And, since all of these materials are on the same subject, surely a lot of the things will be overlapping, but does each one offer a unique artist's style/technique/point of view that perhaps another one is missing?

kind regards,
therue

Ron Smith -
1) Drawing and Understanding Scroll Designs
2) Advanced Drawing of Scrolls: For Engraving Artists, Designers, Craftsmen

Lee Griffiths - Art & Design Fundamentals

Sam Alfanos - The Essential Guide to Drawing Scrolls DVD

Last edited:

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
I have all of them :thumbsup: & all are great!

The fact is, too many cooks spoil the broth.

If you want a book, get a book..if you want a simple but easy to get started but also the ability to advance get Sam`s DVD downloaded to watch in an instant.

You can`t really go wrong, but the thing with books is you usually end up trying to start at the back in the advanced bit & there are too many distractions/styles..

So I`d go for the DVD download first If I had to start from scratch & then get a book later.
If you get too much info in the beginning it`s not going to help you understand the very important basic rules.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
If I could only purchase one it would be Ron Smith's Advanced Scroll Designs.
The title is a little misleading in that it does show very basic leaf and scroll workups.
Draw this line 1st, 2nd, etc.
Break everything down to each line, practice that line until it is just like the one in the book and then go to the next one.
Just like grade school learning to print each letter.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
The problem is, you can't help flicking pages to get to the juicy bits.
At least your more likely to actually follow a DVD without fast forwarding past your level & the fact that visual learning with sound makes the basics easier to grasp.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Yep, I'm a flicker, I admit it.
BUT, once you realize that you do need to start from scratch, it all comes together.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Actually, there are quite many books about drawing scrolls if you know where to look for.

Where to look for is http://archive.org. Tons and tons of scanned old books, here's just a few that might interest you and to get started:

Guide to Acanthus

Ornamentik des Mittelalters

The Grammar of Ornament

Interior and Exterior Decorative Ornament

Ornamenti Diversi

And here's the whole subcategory of ornament. Go knock yourself out :)

But, just like many others, I did start with Ron Smith's book. Then Lee Griffiths and Sam. All very good. The archive.org is quite recent and they're adding stuff all the time, so got to keep an eye on that.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I recommend to students Ron Smith's book Advanced Drawing of Scrolls and Lee's book,also hope Marcus Hunt come out with second edition of his book on English scrolls. J.J.

monk

Staff member
Hello,

Having searched the forum, it seems most people are recommending the following items in regards to learning materials for drawing scrolls for engraving.

As someone who is interested in starting his journey and fascinated and in awe of the beauty of this craft, obviously I would love to buy them all... since there aren't that many books written on the subject anyway, and it's always nice to collect things you enjoy.

However, I was wondering if anyone have experience with most or all of these materials to perhaps help me make the decision on an initial purchase?

For example, Ron Smith has 2 books, and I know most people refer to his advanced book, but does that mean the advanced books contains everything from beginner to advanced and somewhat makes the other book less useful? or does the first book also contain unique information that are perhaps not in the advanced one?

And, since all of these materials are on the same subject, surely a lot of the things will be overlapping, but does each one offer a unique artist's style/technique/point of view that perhaps another one is missing?

kind regards,
therue

Ron Smith -
1) Drawing and Understanding Scroll Designs
2) Advanced Drawing of Scrolls: For Engraving Artists, Designers, Craftsmen

Lee Griffiths - Art & Design Fundamentals

Sam Alfanos - The Essential Guide to Drawing Scrolls DVD

did young published a nice one a few weeks ago. it gives good insight to his design philosophy as well as a good understanding on how to develop from simple to the more complex scroll. also look at his drawings he frequently posts. not too good for a newbie to begin with such complexity at first. better to learn a good basic spiral and progress from there.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Having seen them all... I'd recommend Sam's video and then Lee's more extensive training combo.

The book of Lynton McKenzie's smoke prints is one of my favorites, but it is kinda pricey and more in the category of something to strive for than to learn basics from. Some of the cleanest/crispest scroll work you will ever see...

Brian

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
I would recommend anyone of them and then get a good mechanical pencil an eraser and a pad of paper and practice, a lot of practice. If you are at the beginning of this adventure you can't go wrong with Meeks' book "The art of Engraving". He takes you from the very beginning and includes the basic of the scroll.

monk

Staff member
the meeks book is all by itself in my opinion. the first tome ever to show how it's done (on guns).
this book also introduced the gravermeister. the meister was the first power assist tool on the market that i know of. the brain child of john rohner. the book was also an education to all who may have wondered how such work was done.
the book certainly opened up a whole new approach for me. i know not how (or even if) i would have evolved as an engraver without this book.
buying the mister allowed me to rapidly produce templates for a nh gtx pantograph. and on, and on, and------

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
monk,The Meister was not the first power assist engraving tool,John Murphy designed the first power assist in the late 50's early 60's witch is now in the NRA museum I did a thread on it with pictures for the two forums look it up. J.J.

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
monk,The Meister was not the first power assist engraving tool,John Murphy designed the first power assist in the late 50's early 60's witch is now in the NRA museum I did a thread on it with pictures for the two forums look it up. J.J.

And engraver Al Scott developed the first hand controlled handpiece around 1988.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for acknowledging Al, Sam.

Al used a Cadillac air compressor unit for the drive.

I have several of his out of this world knife drawings which unfortunately his time ran out before he was able to execute them.

My post should have read "AIR SUPPLY", instead of drive unit.

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
And engraver Al Scott developed the first hand controlled handpiece around 1988.

Sam,

I'm a little confused by your comment. By 1988 the GRS tools were well established. What was different about Scott's that made it the first of its kind?

Thanks,

Roger

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Roger, Al made the first Palm Control which Don Glaser tried his best to purchase the rights to.

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
I believe Monk was referring to the Gravermeister as the first power assisted system that was commercially available for sale to the "masses". I thought John Murphy's unit was a one of a kind, that it was not manufactured and not available to everyone.

Now that my curiosity is up, the Ngraver, I thought it was before the air powered units? According to their website, it hit the market in 1979. Was there any commercial powered hand units before the Ngraver??? I know Foredom makes one, but I could not find info on it.

Latest posts

Sponsors