Which graver for engraver script

mattfye

Just watched Sams video on lettering techniques, which is brilliant by the way. I'd like to have a go at cutting some engravers script and was wondering what size the flat graver he uses is. Could I shape one out of a square blank? I know it's a 40 degree face and 15-20 degree radius heel. But what size blank do I start with?

Indy Joneds

Elite Cafe Member
it depends on what will fit in your machine collet i surpose, but a 3/32 is probably a safe bet , if your in uk you can order them off ebay . i get mine off of there from a supplier called gloucter tools , type in " 3/32 hss graver blank " into ebay . but you will need either a handle to put the graver into if you dont have a machine / handpiece.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Matt,I like 120 degree or 116 degree with a 45 degree face,I use Lindsay's temple's. J.J.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks guys,
I've ordered some blanks. I'll shape some flat and 120

the flats come pre-shaped to the flat configuration. kind of a waste of time to grind a 90 to a flat configuration. not only that, the flats come in a variety of sizes-- # 36, the narrowest of the lot, to 45 or 46 being the largest. several sizes in between.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
One thing I never "got" was grinding a flat with a lyndsay template, you start grinding the corner down..when you already flat sides :D

Latest posts

Sponsors