Smooth off one side of a coin?

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would do like doc...KISS!

Use some CA glue to glue the coin to a piece of wood dowel. Then hit it on an 80 grit belt sander. Should make quick work of it. If the dowel isn't warped it'll act a "truing " fixture

peteb

Elite Cafe Member
Use double sided tape and tape to a precision ground steel flat then go to machine shop and surface grind carefully. If the tape is good (apply pressure to insure flatness) they will not move laterally and are easily removed with alcohol.
I remove background material with a 1/8" or 1/16" end mill on .010 niobium, to a depth of .002 in platinum or sterling with this rig which is nothing more than 2 6"x8" granite surface plates, the bottom fixed and the top one floats while the cutter rides on an extended micrometer head. The precision milling head is mounted on an old chop saw frame. Hope this helps.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
IMG_7577.jpg

Thanks for suggestions and offers to help.

This took just a couple of minutes on the Powerhone starting with a Gator 320 wheel and ending with a 600 grit. Then a few swipes on some wet or dry sandpaper. I held the coin down with my fingertip and it slipped off a couple of times but it went pretty smoothly and I was able to maintain consistent thickness.

This is a Roosevelt silver dime for practice. I'll get some Mercury, Barber, or seated Liberty dimes on eBay.

JOEYS CARVED ART

Elite Cafe Member
That's exactly how I do it, I just hold it down with my finger, it doesn't get too hot if you keep it at a decent speed and yes it does fly off every now and again but after you do several you get the hang of it. I hold it on the lap before I start the machine that way you don't have to worry about putting flat spots on any angles but the flat face. Great job Sam!
Joey

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Pretty much the same as I do...

Might wanna add in a dop stick and save your finger tips, plus there will very likely be no slips if you use one...

Chop up a wooden dowel of a slightly undersized diameter to 3" lengths and get hold of some lapidary cement. It's cheap and reusable.

Add a small mason jar of alcohol for cleaning up any particles that remain after you knock 'em off with a rawhide mallet. Or you can put them in the freezer to release 'em.

Brian

Last edited:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, Some years ago I sent you a coin clamp along with one of my X Y axis six by six microscope centering fixtures jigs. Each on the four coin holders is exactly half the thickness of the coin it holds. Jig was designed originally to make two headed coins. You have never mentioned using either the 6 inch centering jig or the coin holders. The coin holders were designed for exactly what you want to do if they are not in the scrape bin. Fred

Sam

Staff member
Sam, Some years ago I sent you a coin clamp along with one of my X Y axis six by six microscope centering fixtures jigs. Each on the four coin holders is exactly half the thickness of the coin it holds. Jig was designed originally to make two headed coins. You have never mentioned using either the 6 inch centering jig or the coin holders. The coin holders were designed for exactly what you want to do if they are not in the scrape bin. Fred

Yep, I have 'em here in my tool cabinet, Fred.

Brian: The only thing I'd worry about with a dop stick is keeping the coin flat on the lap. I've not tried it though, but I will.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Maybe I forgot one small detail? I am slowly spinning the dop stick between my thumb and forefinger, choked up close to the coin, not out at the end of the stick... you can "feel" the flat.

If you really like the fingertip way - then get yourself some of those rubber fingertips we used to use for engraving to keep the calluses down.

Back before swittching over to silicone fuel line tubing 10 or 15 years ago... Office supply would have 'em.

Not only give you a better non-slip grip, but insulate a bit of the heat if you get the coin warm.

But yeah, since Fred's fixture is a flat bar only 1/4" to 3/8" thick (can't remember for sure) it might be the better way to go?

Only thing I see with using it is that you won't be able to see the coin while grinding it... with a dop you have more visisbility.

Dunno 'till I try it. Got none to do right now.

Brian

Last edited:

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Sam,
A piece of double stick tape on the coin takes care of the finger slip-off issue. at least it's worked for me on similar stuff.

Todd

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
doesn't using the lathes and power hones loose the silver you grind off?
thatll add up quickly after a while.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
As 'oiseau metal arts' said, the metal loss would add up over a period of time, depending on how many coins you do. When I did my stuff on the jeweler's lathe, with the razor sharp tooling, I merely picked up the stringers with tweezers or fingers, and put such into a little jar or vial. Properly cut, minimal finishing remains, with minimal finishing required.

Sam

Staff member
As 'oiseau metal arts' said, the metal loss would add up over a period of time, depending on how many coins you do. When I did my stuff on the jeweler's lathe, with the razor sharp tooling, I merely picked up the stringers with tweezers or fingers, and put such into a little jar or vial. Properly cut, minimal finishing remains, with minimal finishing required.

A lathe would be the ideal way. You can preserve the rim and recover the shavings.

Sam

Staff member
I am surprised that you DON'T have a watchmakers lathe Sam? Just to pet once in a while as you walk by.

It's also a cool tool to add statistics and credibility to the "Coolness Chart"...

Brian

You're right Brian. I'd love to have one and this might be a good excuse to buy one :cool:

Latest posts

Sponsors