Help, please: New Hermes F3 Pantograph

Emmagray

I have just inherited a New Hermes F3 Pantograph and have no idea how to use. I've searched You tube and the internet for some type of video. Any suggestions for how to learn to use it? I have several fonts that I would like to use for my monogram business.

Thank you!

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
Emma,

Welcome :tiphat:

I am in a similar position in having a couple of Taylor-Hobson pantographs and I will have to learn by trial and error.

I'm not familiar with the model - is it just a diamond drag or is it fitted with a motor? There should be some you-tube videos even if they are not specific to your model which should give some idea as to how the machine works. Have you got the instructions that are issued with the panto? Basically the stylus is used to trace the template and a reduced design is produced (unless the only ratio is a 1:1). If it is a diamond drag model the diamond points should be readily available but if the pantograph is to be used with a cutter the hardest thing to work out would be being able to sharpen the cutters to the correct angles.

I know that there are more knowledgeable users on the forum and look forward to see their responses.

All the best,
Roger

PS - It might be helpful to include your location in your details as there could be someone close to you who could show you what to do.

Emmagray

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the reply, yes this is a diamond drag. I will use that term when searching on you tube. I've only found one video that looks similar but it doesn't really go into jigs or how to adjust the ratio. I want to add engraving to my business so I'm excited to learn how to use it.

I look forward to other responses as well.

Thanks again!

Addertooth

I was a new hermes engraver back in the 70s; their use is straight forward. Adjust all the settings to the same number (such as "2", there will likely be 2 or 3 places to set). This will divide the size of the font by 2. Center your work piece, stick the stylus in the font, press on the lever which engages the diamond to the work surface, trace out the letter, release the spring loaded lever which pushes the diamond tip downward. Congratulations, you have done your first letter at half the font size.

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
Emma,

As I said I am not familiar with the model but some of the basic models have limitations as to how they can be used whether in size of items or shapes ie. you may or may not be able to "engrave" cups or other 3 dimensional items - you could be limited to flat items - have you checked out the New Hermes site for fixtures that could be available?

Roger

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
New Hermes is still in business. I suggest going to their web site ( www.gravograph.us ) and downloading information concerning the exact model you have. There well maybe additional material, parts and or accessories to help you.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
send me a foto of your machine, along with yer phone number. i can set you off on the right track i'll start checking my pm"s

Latest posts

Sponsors