What tools are used to engrave fine detail into cast bronze?

Genevieve

Hi there, I am hoping to engrave finely detailed numbers into a cast bronze sculpture, I started out using a Dremel multi pro 395 with a 3/32nd diamond bit, but the lines weren't thin enough and I didn't have the necessary precision down. I have never done engraving before, so forgive my ignorance, it's just been tough finding out what tools and bits are used for fine detail bronze engraving. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Welcome to the forum. Under the engravers cafe banner is the site search button. Type in engraving bronze and it will give you links to threads covering engraving bronze. Ray cover offers his insight from engraving bronze tubing he makes his fly rods from. Not cast but keep searching and build your knowledge base. If you try to do this project with a dremel tool, then good luck. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i don't advise trying to do this job without first learning the entry level requirements of hand engraving. my advice is for traditional hand engraving. if you're going to go the rotary way, your dentist will likely give or sell you enough to get started. you should test in an area of the bronze that will not be seen. as for rotary work, you're better off with a minimum of 30k rpm. nsk and foredoom sell good units. forget buying chinese knockoffs. for most, such proves to be an inexpensive, but very disappointing result. if i were to do this, i'd forget using dremls. they are good for what they were designed for, but not exacting professional work.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just took a small cold chisel and shaped it to something like 70degree v cutter but w a slight radius at the tip (instead of super sharp. Then I tap it along with a chasing hammer.
For signing my bronze sculpture.

Latest posts

Sponsors