which damar varnish to get ( uk ) ( this one does not work )

Indy Joneds

Elite Cafe Member
hi ive bought this damar varnish
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zest-It-1...577285?hash=item337c68d585:g:-iUAAOxyLm9TB90N

and it is like oil and does not dry quickly / at all yet when put on the metal . and is not transferring i have tried mixed with lighter fluid but makes worse . itds not sticky at all . another god dam waste of money .

I read that it should be thick like honey, like normal varmish. So before i buy the " windsor and Newton version . can anyone please confirm that that brand works or please reccomend one that does if not .

thank you

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
From what you posted, it appears you were at first :beatup:using the varnish uncut, "made it worse cutting it with lighter fluid".
My suggestion is to purchase "Tom White's Transfer Solution".
It is premixed, tried and true. :beatup:

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
Well, I'm having trouble with transfers too. I've tried Cirrelli solution and White's transfer magic and I'm having a terrible time. It just occurred to me while reading this thread, we are talking about transparency sheets for an overhead projector right ? When I search transfer sheets for a inkjet ,up pops transfer sheets for iron on t shirts. The transparency sheets wont let the ink dry it sort of just sits on top of the sheet. I've read every thread I can find and I get the same information it seems.
Thanks, Mark

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Those Epson sheets are a thing of the past. Printing with a cheapo black laser printer on to parchment paper works WAY better as far as I'm concerned. Use the Search and look that up.

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
I use Damar varnish to transfer from laser printer (but apparently not Brother brand laser printers) on kitchen baking parchment, not inkjet transparencies.

If you are not using laser printer on baking parchment, you need to use a different transfer method.

Andrew Biggs

Yes,………Winsor & Newton Dammar Varnish Vernice Dammar, works well for me………..I mix it with 10% (approx) Dammar and 90% (approx) IPA. Mix together and shake well each time you use it. Too thin on the surface and it won’t work. To thick on the surface and it won’t work.

I use it with Pictorico Premium OHP Transparency film 8.5” x 11”

HP printer with a black 27 or 56 cartridge.

When you have burnished…………..peel the transparency off and use your small burnisher to rub/press down at the same time. Don’t just lift the transparency off.

Having said all that………Tom Whites Transfer Magic is as good as you will get along with his recommended transparencies. It will save you a lot of grief :)

Cheers
Andrew

Indy Joneds

Elite Cafe Member
is the windor and newton damar thick like honey andrew , thanks all . ive read all the threads . but not many damar available on the bay and this is the first one ive tried . thanks

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
I don't think the brand really matters, but of course, I've tried only the one I randomly bought. It is not thick like honey, quite runny actually.

Made a short vid to show how it looks - https://youtu.be/G0wvbI54DB4

Haven't had any problems with that one so far. I can transfer smoke pulls to it, pencil lines from vellum and of course ink from transparency...

Andrew Biggs

Yes, the Winsor & Newton is as thick as honey. :)

Why are you restricting yourself to the UK EBay??? You can buy it at any decent art supply store that sells artists oil paints etc. It's a bog standard item.

If there isn't a store near you that you can physically go to...........there will be plenty of online stores in the UK

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew Biggs

I would also add that the Dammar that you brought looks like it may be water soluble.

Dammar is traditionally mixed with turpentine so should be flammable.............okay, you have to put a blowtorch to it for an hour before it bursts into flame, but the packaging should say flammable.

When you mix it with IPA (Isopropyl alcohol) it should turn a white milky colour and not separate in the jar.

Cheers
Andrew

Patsy Croft

Finally it worked. I bought a HP Laser jet Pro P1102 = Amazon $83.00 Printed on parchment paper. Used the 80/20 Zippo lighter fluid, Winsor Newton Darmar Varnish Yippie and a very nice transfer!

Indy Joneds

Elite Cafe Member
Good News is..

Finally a method that works for me

this drawing is not by me it is by Arnaud

hope i spelt that correct

Attachments

• WP_20151105_004.jpg
    WP_20151105_004.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 151

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
mine is ArtSpectrum diluted with turpentine. Sticky and durable. You may need to sprits with hair spray to stop it from rubbing off if your transfer medium doesn't stay as sticky... I tried diluting mine with zippo fluid yesterday, the transfer worked, needed the hair spray though. I'll see what ti's like to engrave, which one flakes off more than the other.

Brian Trace

Indy,

A bit late in responding but I'm only just back after several months away sailing from Cape Town to Perth. Next adventure in late Feb - Apr 16 is Auckland to Montevideo via Cape Horn. Anyway, I previously tried and tested Windsor & Newton Damar Varnish and found it wanting so I looked again. Huge success from local art shop with Damar Varnish (Low Gloss) 250ml by C Roberson & Co; their on-line products can be found at www.robco.co.uk. Good sticky finish and beautifully picks-up transferred laser print when released by Acetone. Bottles of clear Damar should be avoided: this one is opaque with settled-out Damar Gum in Turpentine. I see from previous posts that you perhaps have already found your own solution but thought that the above detail might help.

Indy Joneds

Elite Cafe Member
thank you very much for responding , i did find a different method but i will try your damar when i get back round to transfers again , there is so much to learn and so much to overcome that i end up circling around through them all . some i figure out , most i just take a kicking from and get tossed onto the next in line. But at least now i know which damar varnish to get. thanks Brian

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
there's as many transfer techniques, it seems, as there are those wishing to do transfers. my current "go to" remains my jug of "cirelli sauce". the invention of mike cirelli.

Sponsors