McKenzie's vise

beegee

Elite Cafe Member
Does anyone know what kind of vise Lynton McKenzie used, as in the videos? It seems a much more stable vise than a ball vise.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,
I don't think he ever mention the brand name of vice and I don't remember ever seeing a name.
He did have it machined quite a bit to do what he wanted it to. I think he had the dove tale
added on for centering under the scope. I think Sam would know for sure about most
how it was built.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Lynton used a gunsmith vise from the Mittermeyer (sp?) company. It's a vise with about 4" jaws and mounted on a sturdy ball joint. He added two dovetailed slides so his work would stay centered under the microscope. The ball joint, vise, and slide were attached to a stainless steel shaft which turned on a single bearing mounted in the floor. It's a very sturdy arrangement for stand-up hammer & chisel engraving. Before he died he gave me a set of plans for making a vise mounted on a turntable. I believe he was experiementing with this and offered to build me one, but he passed away. I still have the plans though.

When I was at New Orleans Arms Co. I built a McKenzie style vise for my studio at home. I got the gunsmith vise from Stanley Diefenthal (the owner). Stanley got the vise from Lynton, and years later I was to find out that Winston had given the vise to McKenzie. I've only seen one other one, and it was being used by a knifemaker in Arkansas. My vise is in storage at this time as I no longer stand and engrave with hammer & chisel. I find ball vises fast and efficient.

~Sam

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
was that the vise you offered me for sale back in the day?

Darn, I wished I'd bought it for the historical connections even though then and now, I thought the ball vise on disc was a better approach for use under a scope.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Just a suggestion, but how about putting the plans on the tips board. Unless your going into the
vice business. Just a suggestion.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
why I ask? It just confuses people.
it's not a good solution, and its certianly not a cheap solution. a ball vise can be made out of bowling ball if you are looking for cheap and (relatively) effective.

Last edited:

Sam

Staff member
was that the vise you offered me for sale back in the day?

Darn, I wished I'd bought it for the historical connections even though then and now, I thought the ball vise on disc was a better approach for use under a scope.

Scott: No, it was a copy of the one I used at New Orleans Arms which was built by a friend of mine. I foget the name of the engraver who bought it.

Sam

Staff member
Just a suggestion, but how about putting the plans on the tips board. Unless your going into the
vice business. Just a suggestion.

Jim: I'll dig out the plans and check them out. I think Lynton had them drawn by someone, and I'm not sure if they're copyrighted or not. / Sam

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Sam,
I think that's really a good thing. Thank you. I would think Lynton would smile also.

Jim

Hayes

Hello Sam.
I know this is an old post but I was wandering if you still had the drawings for the Lynton McKenzie vise setup. I have an application for the use of this type vise in my shop. Also do you know where I could purchase the vise that Lynton used?

thank you for your support,
Kevin

Last edited:

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
Jim: I'll dig out the plans and check them out. I think Lynton had them drawn by someone, and I'm not sure if they're copyrighted or not. / Sam

For what it's worth... I know a guy that owns a Machine Shop that can build stuff ;) (This guy right here)

Sam

Staff member
Hello Sam.
I know this is an old post but I was wandering if you still had the drawings for the Lynton McKenzie vise setup. I have an application for the use of this type vise in my shop. Also do you know where I could purchase the vise that Lynton used?

thank you for your support,
Kevin

I have them somewhere, but quite frankly a good turntable and ball vise are all you need and better than what McKenzie had designed.

Sponsors