Critique Request some sketches

sinan

I was practicing bulino and tried to do some motifs or scrolls what do you call it. I am first time trying to do draw something like these. I inspired some of them from old Turkish motifs in books. Turkish motifs are too complicated and has many rules. I just tried to do something which resemble to them.

Sinan

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 309
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 305
  • c.JPG
    c.JPG
    369.8 KB · Views: 305
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 303
  • e.JPG
    e.JPG
    296.6 KB · Views: 308
  • 49.jpg
    49.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
::::Pledge Member::::
I am sorry to ask the question but what exactly do you find nice, the effort or the result? Do you think that your comment bring anything to sinan, did he learn anything from it?

Dear Thierry, I share the same thoughts as you have.

For Sinan, I suggest him to learn how to draw perfect scrool first and than learn how to connect one scrool to another and finally how to draw and place leaf shapes in a scrool, this is how I am doing. Am I doing those perfectly ? No I can not but when I look at my current scrool and leaf drawings I can see big difference between now and 2 years ago, I am keeping to develop my scrool and design ability and I pay a big attention to masters' designs and try to see the details.

sinan

I think bulino is easy of the all engraving types. Scrolls, motifs has many rules. I am thinking to join tezhip ( Turkish illuminating art) course but it takes four – five years. First one year is very boring. I don't have any choice to join western scroll, motif courses here in Turkey.

Salih, I am thinking to engrave our motifs but first of all I have to learn them. I had seen old Turkish swords, yatagans and some guns engraved our motifs on them in military museum. I couldn't find any book about old Turkish guns which shows Turkish motifs engraved on them.

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
I think bulino is easy of the all engraving types. Scrolls, motifs has many rules. I am thinking to join tezhip ( Turkish illuminating art) course but it takes four – five years. First one year is very boring. I don't have any choice to join western scroll, motif courses here in Turkey.

Salih, I am thinking to engrave our motifs but first of all I have to learn them. I had seen old Turkish swords, yatagans and some guns engraved our motifs on them in military museum. I couldn't find any book about old Turkish guns which shows Turkish motifs engraved on them.

Aslında o kadarda zor değil belli başlı kuralları bilince gerisi kolay, ben baya bi kişiye kurs verdim hatta bu forumdan beni bulan 2 kişi vardı şuan kimlerdi hatırlamıyorum ama içlerinden biri baya kıvırdı işi, ilgilenirseniz kurs verebilirim.

monk

Staff member
it is very good that you are drawing. the pencil is the key to all good engraving. you seem to be concentrating on the very ornate. i'd suggest , in addition to the ornate, i'd seriously look at the many examples of bulino shown here on the forum. most bulino seems to be more basic or simplified in design. such as you enjoy drawing-- upon what are you intending to apply the bulino style? is such ornate work easy to fit into the shapes you wish to embellish ? just a thought from a guy who doesn't even do bulino !
thanks for showing your drawings.

monk

Staff member
it is very good that you are drawing. the pencil is the key to all good engraving. you seem to be concentrating on the very ornate. i'd suggest , in addition to the ornate, i'd seriously look at the many examples of bulino shown here on the forum. most bulino seems to be more basic or simplified in design. such as you enjoy drawing-- upon what are you intending to apply the bulino style? is such ornate work easy to fit into the shapes you wish to embellish ? just a thought from a guy who doesn't even do bulino !

i noticed in a separate post the 2 dogs you did. that is right on the money my friend. that is the "simplified design style" i was thinking about.

Gabe

I was paying a compliment for the effort. I have pulled my post. I guess The Engraver's Cafe forum is for the Masters. I am completely at fault here, and I apologize.

Gabe

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gabe,
The engravers cafe is far from a place for "masters" to gather. While there are many master engravers here, I'd venture that the majority of members here are novice level engravers trying to learn from more skilled professional engravers.
What Thierry was trying to get across is that when someone asks for a critique, they are looking to find out how their work stacks up and where they might find improvement. When you simply post "Nice", the person requesting critique might assume you are a master engraver giving their work the thumbs up. A person offering a critique should be, at least, as skilled or more skilled than the person they are giving advice to. Else they run the risk of offering bad information. Ideally a professional will chime in and explain what might be changed and why.
Thierry wasn't trying to be rude. He was simply pointing out that a comment of "Nice" is sometimes the last thing a person needs to hear.
I have asked for a critique before and been told flatly that the work didn't cut it. A comment of "Nice" would have me thinking what I was doing was right when that was anything but the case.
Hope that makes sense. This is a place for everyone to learn. Especially the novice.
Layne

sinan

Monk thank you very much for your comment. I hadn't tried scroll, motif work of this kind and would like to start it and tried some drawings. I should decide which style will I start to learn. Eastern motifs takes too long for training and western one had no opportunity to train in here. I think I will solve it again by myself from books and videos. I was drawing nothing before start the engraving practices and I am trying to drawing pictures, painting watercolors and do bulino. I love my pencil and draw all the time when I find time for it.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
you are quite fortunate to have a love for drawing. many beginners seem to have more trouble with the drawing than learning the basics of cutting in the metal. as nice as the 2 dogs are, looks to me like you have found your "calling". books are a good source of ideas and techniques. videos are valuable as well. to me the videos are most important to show things like hand and wrist position during actual cutting. i'm curious to know how you sharpen your gravers, and also what geometries you use for them.

sinan

you are quite fortunate to have a love for drawing. many beginners seem to have more trouble with the drawing than learning the basics of cutting in the metal. as nice as the 2 dogs are, looks to me like you have found your "calling". books are a good source of ideas and techniques. videos are valuable as well. to me the videos are most important to show things like hand and wrist position during actual cutting. i'm curious to know how you sharpen your gravers, and also what geometries you use for them.

I have a book Ron Smith and Sam's scroll video. I had bought Sam's video few years ago online but couldn't watch it because of my PC operating system I think so I can watch it online. I will try.

I use Phil Cogan template and GMT's onglette and knife blades.
I used onglette for this dog portrait. I did it only by lines. Other two dogs only by dots by PC graver.

Attachments

• bk2.jpg
    bk2.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 34

Sponsors