Question: Positioning Vise

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Is that a solid slab of thermoloc?

If so, after seeing this last image... I am gonna bet that you will find most of the problem is in your fixturing and clamping.

All of the other things that have been mentioned in this thread would also help reduce vibration - but that one, you should fix first.

Brian

For jobs similar to this - try taping the backside of the knife and hot gluing it to a piece of 3/8" (10mm) brass bar stock of the right width/length. Use a thin layer of hot glue. This is my method. YMMV

Even hot gluing to a slab of dense hardwood would be better than using a slab of solid (and bouncy) thermoloc by itself.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Okay so here is my vise. I did some tests yesterday and found out that it has to be that rubber base. Once I removed it and placed the vise directly on to the platen, it became rock solid. I will try to fix something else, a hard base like wood or plastic of some sort. I ll let you know how it goes.
Thanks,
Mike
well, who knows-- perhaps the rubber socket wasn't properly cured before it was taken out of the mould. i guess that could account for the condition you described. at least you found the problem.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Barry, Im not really sure on what you are talking about but I guess I figure it all out in time.
Here is what I am doing right now.
To be continued.
Thanks for all your advices!:happyvise:
the large pins-- do they have a "slop fit"? if not rather tight in fit, that could result in some vibration.
ps; if you have time, i'd enjoy seeing a very good closeup of the way you textured the scroll for inlaying.

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
So after some investigation I have finally found the problem to the vibrations. My bench is too light. The vise is attached to the bench and the load becomes too high for the bench acting like some sort off leverage thing. Hard to explain in English but I hope you get it. The vise I used before was much lighter so I did not have these problems then. However even if I cast a bench in concrete I will still have some problems because of my wooden house.
Monk, well it is to late for a macro shoot for this engraving but I will keep it in mind and do a close up for you on my next engraving.
Thanks!

D Smith

It's not your bench or your house! The problem is like everyone is telling you. Its how and what you have your knife handle in and on. Get rid of that thick plastic base the knife handle is mounted on. Plus the air gap under the plastic that is not solid on top of the vice jaws. Remount the handle on any piece of metal,at least a 1/4 in. thick, remount the knife handle to that and get rid of the swivel jaws use the straight pins and make sure its solid on top of the vice jaws.

To much plastic! Plus the air gap = vibrations

D

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
Guys, so I have lowered my vice, took away a standoff and grinded of the bent wings at the ends of the shelf. The vice is still vibrating but it is my bench that is the problem.
Anyway here is some progress.

Attachments

• IMG_4040.jpg
    IMG_4040.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4044.jpg
    IMG_4044.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 53

Latest posts

Sponsors