Question: Bulino practice

sinan

I have tried to do bulino by dots and would like to ask some questions about it.

1. How deep and wide does the stipple should be? If I make it deeper it becomes more dark but it makes it burr and I don't feel smooth when I touch it. It feels like sand paper. How is the dot bulino? Is it smooth or burred when you touch it? (I am asking cause I never seen bulino in real life only in photos in internet.) Should I finish it by sandpaper end of it?

2. I use Phil C. template for stipple I wonder what will be different if I use hex stipple, round stipple or square stipple point? Which one is better for bulino?
Thanks,
Sinan

Attachments

• bul.jpg
    bul.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
Your work looks great, I was told that most engravers remove the bur by popping it out, but some let it. I would also not do any sanding even with the finest of grits as this will take away your detail. One thing I might add is you might want to darken some of the areas. One good way I have found is use both lines and dots to get the depth in shades. Keep up the great work. ZZ.

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Bulino or "Photo realistic hand engraving" does not really works on deepness but on density, like black and white photography, the denser the dot the darker the effect. One may consider using 0000 steel wood to attenuate some darker spots, in effect your dots become smaller when you do that, of course your all subject lose contrast so you have to figure out what part of the scene need to be the lightest so you can create an appropriate progression from lighter to darker. You can also use line but they need to be very light as not to be seen with your naked eye, same for the dots actually, you should not be able to see individual ones. To answer your last question the final result should be smooth and you should hardly feel it under your finger, when the work his done you do not polish or mechanically alter the result it will degrade the contrast you are trying to create.
I did post a few video on YOUTUBE.COM (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRo1o-tONrQ and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eebCX1qzFck) you may consider looking at them and take out of it what you think is relevant to your purpose .
As for your practice it is difficult to know if the picture give credit to your work, the shape of the animals is great but they look flat because the tonality is too uniform, white look as white as the darkness surrounding it, contrast give life and volume.

sinan

Thank you very much Jon, Thierry:

Thierry, I am following and subscribe to you on youtube. I had found you on youtube a few months ago. Thank you very much for posting these videos on youtube, they are very useful for me.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sinan,

In my opinion, trying to do high quality "bulino" (puntini) work, without ever having seen an actual work by a master, is like trying to paint like Van Gogh from pictures in a book. Until I first saw an actual Van Gogh, I had no idea of the way that applied the paint to the canvas. For Americans, it is relatively easy to see top bulino work by going to the best gun shows, like the Las Vegas Antique Arms Show. For you, in Turkey, your best opportunity may be to go to the IWA show in Nuremberg, Germany, March 4-6, 2016. http://10times.com/iwa-outdoor-classics.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Roger,The NRA museum has a large collection of fine sporting arms in the Robert Peterson room,most of the guns have beautiful bolino game scenes by Italian engravers. J.J.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For Aussie girls maybe some great engraver would be willing to bulino some tiny little thing to show how it's meant to look for $ of course?

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I remember a step by step tutorial that Barry Lee did of cougar on a single shot rifle if someone could find it and put up her that would give everyone a good idea of the way it done. J.J.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger,The NRA museum has a large collection of fine sporting arms in the Robert Peterson room,most of the guns have beautiful bolino game scenes by Italian engravers. J.J.

The problem with viewing something extremely fine, like engraving, in a museum is that you are looking through an inch of glass at an object a foot away.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For Aussie girls maybe some great engraver would be willing to bulino some tiny little thing to show how it's meant to look for $ of course?

An old saying goes "If the mountain can't go to Mohammed then Mohammed must go to the mountain." Perhaps someone can tell you if there is a high end custom knife show in Oz since guns are now rather uncommon there.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Roger B. is giving you the best option.

The FEGA castings as well as those of individual engravers like Ray Cover are as good as it gets. All of the detail without all of the costs of owning the real thing.

You can see the depth of every cut under a microscope - something no photograph can give you. Average price is around $15 - $35. and worth every penny!

Chris DeCamillis also has great castings with his DVD series. Dunno if they are available separately? Contact him or Tira and find out. Try engraver.com for a start.

I have never understood why more beginning engravers do not invest in these as a study aid? Perhaps not enough know that they exist?

We have a huge collection here, and I show them at every workshop I give. We brought cases of them ALL out for the Confabulation a month or so ago.

Brian

Last edited:

sinan

What degree magnifying is essential for bulino? I have only 4x,6x,10x loupes and 3,5x optivisor.