Question: Drawing Jewelry

Dan W

Elite Cafe Member
A while back there was a post about a course on drawing jewelry. It was a set of tutorials on how to draw jewelry so a jeweler could sit down with a client and work up a piece on paper before it was produced. I have searched the forum several different ways but haven’t had any luck finding that thread. Can anyone here point me in the right direction?
Thanks,
Dan

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
In the Buy and sell section Mitch has for sale in a lot a great book on book on drawing jewelry. I am not into jewelry, and not interested in drawing jewelry, but like looking at the great pictures in my copy of the book. And don't want to sell my copy, even though it is not really up my alley.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
A while back there was a post about a course on drawing jewelry. It was a set of tutorials on how to draw jewelry so a jeweler could sit down with a client and work up a piece on paper before it was produced. I have searched the forum several different ways but haven’t had any luck finding that thread. Can anyone here point me in the right direction?
Thanks,
Dan

i remember checking this out. it's quite a professional approach to designing jewelry with an eye to the business end of things.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
When I first started in Retail Jewelry, I found pages of beautiful renderings in one of the desk drawers. I made an effort, practiced and started to get pretty good. I talked to the boss and he told me that those drawings I found were the result of MANY hours of drawings for potential customers, none of which sold.

He suggested becoming fairly proficient at rapid sketches, something to show the customer that you understand what they want, or to convey your ideas to them. That has worked well for 20 years.

Not to take away from beautiful drawing, but unless you are a very high end jeweler, most of the ideas can be conveyed in sketches in a fraction of the time, while the customer is watching, and then the time saved can be spent creating the piece.

When I have customers that want more detailed drawings, I ask them to do them and then return to me. It works well since I am one of the few in our area that will work in that manner. It also puts the responsibility on the shoulders of the customer. I also have them approve the wax carving when doing lost wax casting. Can't really do that with fabricated pieces...there the metal is both the beginning and the end.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
When I first started in Retail Jewelry, I found pages of beautiful renderings in one of the desk drawers. I made an effort, practiced and started to get pretty good. I talked to the boss and he told me that those drawings I found were the result of MANY hours of drawings for potential customers, none of which sold.

He suggested becoming fairly proficient at rapid sketches, something to show the customer that you understand what they want, or to convey your ideas to them. That has worked well for 20 years.

Not to take away from beautiful drawing, but unless you are a very high end jeweler, most of the ideas can be conveyed in sketches in a fraction of the time, while the customer is watching, and then the time saved can be spent creating the piece.

When I have customers that want more detailed drawings, I ask them to do them and then return to me. It works well since I am one of the few in our area that will work in that manner. It also puts the responsibility on the shoulders of the customer. I also have them approve the wax carving when doing lost wax casting. Can't really do that with fabricated pieces...there the metal is both the beginning and the end.
years ago i made 2x2" sample plates in brass. each shows a different type scroll or letter style i show these plates to a prospective. i like to let a person share in the final design that they will get. i feel a customer is more connected to the work that way. if one can't make up their mind, i can work for the ones that have already invested a bit of time in the concepts they're looking for.
many that are familiar with what i do just tell me to "do my thing". i intensely dislike doing a design in the metal, only to find that it is not to the persons liking or expectations. that's just the way i do things.

Dan W

Elite Cafe Member
My interest in drawing is purely personal. I will not be designing jewelry as such but I have an interest in learning how to draw [in general] in order to create renderings for my engraving. In fact, I have put engraving on hold for a while in order to concentrate on drawing. I have been engraving for a couple of years and have gotten to the point that I need to move on from “practice plates”. I have found new challenges in creating designs that fit the canvas that I am going to work on. Designing scroll work is dependent on the ability to see what the final product will look like. Being able to draw what you are going to engrave will let the customer what the final result will look like and gives you something to work from. Weather it is in the form of a transfer or you just draw the basic design on the work piece. Either way, it has become the next step in my progression as an engraver. Having taken Sam’s class I think he would approve.
Thanks,
Dan

Latest posts

Sponsors