laser toner instead of ink or lampblack?

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
in recent months i've been doing a lot of transfers with laser copies and can't help but notice the toner is pretty tenacious down in a cut line. i wonder how it would work as a substitute for the usual flat black paint? of course, it would take some experimentation on application, which might include heat setting it.

then the current thread on black transfer wax got me thinking about other possibilities, too.

laser printer toner is primarily a superfine ABS plastic powder, which as we all know, can be either melted with heat or a solvent such as acetone or MEK. maybe a tiny bit of solvent stirred in with wax & toner might make a really tough, opaque transfer?

:thinking:

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I have mixed Renaissance micro-crystalline wax with inletting black. I think the inletting black came from Brownell's. It doesn't take much inletting black in the mix. It does the trick but I use it after flat black paint. It sort of seals the shading. Most of gun engravers probably have both of those items on hand. I would like some of those that have these items to try it and let me know what you think.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Both uses - as a transfer additive AND as a supplement to sealing & darkening shading sound interesting/useful....

Will try them and post about the results.

Don't hold your breath though, I am a little slow to get around to doing things... I did, however, go lay a laser cartridge from a deceased printer on my bench :)

Sooner or later I will get tired of moving it outta the way and DO something with the contents?

Thanks to both of you.

Brian

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
not sure, but somewhere i picked up the notion that the toner powder was a bit toxic. such info may be printed on the cartridge or sealed bag it ships in.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
not sure, but somewhere i picked up the notion that the toner powder was a bit toxic. such info may be printed on the cartridge or sealed bag it ships in.

just so we're clear, i'm not advocating it for eating, drinking, snorting, injecting, or otherwise introducing it into the body, but i'd be glad to hear any reports from anyone who experiments in this area of usage. and for the record, probably 90% of the numerous substances in my shop could be reasonably described as "a bit toxic".

:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Sponsors