Koi and Waves - William Henry Knife Scales

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
I've been working on a pair of William Henry Knives scales, in a Japanese-style Koi and Waves theme.

The scales are 416 stainless steel, inlaid with 24k gold, and 14k green and red gold. These were a lot of fun, and a real education in the green and red gold inlays. The green wasn't too bad, but the red was eye-opening. I found the red gold just laughed at my brass punch, but I finally kicked it's derriere with a steel punch and my Lindsay Nitro G-20. It's not laughing now...

You can see a full, blow-by-blow ad-nauseum work-in-progress here: http://sterlingsculptures.com/wp/?p=4032:shock:

William_Henry_B12_Koi_Waves_109.jpg
William_Henry_B12_Koi_Waves_110.jpg
William_Henry_B12_Koi_Waves_111.jpg

The above images are courtesy of the good folks at http://www.williamhenry.com

Thanks for looking!

Tom

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i call this "fantasy" art. by any name, it is just superior work. thanks for showing.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Just a truly wonderful design. It and the slabs compliment each other very well...

Donny

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for the kind words, gents! And thanks for the "Likes" from my other forumites. I appreciate the feedback...

Tom

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Standout piece! Those scales are astounding, I'm guessing mammoth? Your color makes it seamless. And the composition and movement are captivating. Fantastic job.
Layne

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
Those scales are astounding, I'm guessing mammoth?
Layne

Hi Layne,

Thanks! Yes, they're from a really unusual piece of blue and cream fossil mammoth ivory. When I visited the William Henry facility, they showed me lots of really prime materials like the mammoth. They spend a lot of time (and moolah!) accumulating really fantastic materials. I also got to fondle a good number of knives engraved by you folks out there, a real privilege!

Tom

Last edited: