Inlaying into flexible metal

Does anyone know if it is possible to do gold inlay into a bracelet that will flex? I want to inlay 24K gold into a silver bracelet of the style shown, where the metal flexes when it is put on the wrist. I am wondering if the inlay will work itself free? The metal is 1 MM thick.

I have do gold inlays into silver, but usually only pendants.

Attachments

• northwest_native_indian_bracelet_david_neel_w.jpg
    northwest_native_indian_bracelet_david_neel_w.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 247

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I wouldn't do it. As it flexes the 24k gold inlay will no longer have a flush, flawless fit and will develop an ugly gap where it meets the host metal.

peteb

Elite Cafe Member
Gold overlay on silver is the answer, so called silver filled, where the gold is 1/20 of the total weight. So at .040 or approx. 1 mil thick the gold will be about .002 thick. Removing the gold to expose the silver would then be pretty simple. (probably not available in 24kt)

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
If the bracelet is properly sized and the person who is buying it is taught how to put the bracelet on,there is no flexing.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It will work,but instead of relying on undercut and burs , it will have to be soldered in.The obvious alternative is overlay which if done thin enough can appear to be a raised inlay. Not a bad idea!!!!

This sounds like a very good idea. I have done overlay before and I don't like the result as much as inlay, but if it was thin enough than it would appear as raised inlay, as you suggest.

peteb

Elite Cafe Member
Gold clad or gold soldered to silver could be engraved at .050 and then reduced to .040 by rolling. This would effectively level the engraved surface for polishing. This would also work harden both metals which will add to the flex of the finished bracelet. The design layout might have to be "shrunk" the long way to allow for elongation of the material, if that matters.

peteb

Elite Cafe Member
The total cost of material will likely be more but the labor will be much cheaper and the results absolutely reliable regardless of the gold removed which can be returned for refining. As mentioned already, it is questionable that a gold inlay will survive the initial bending of the bracelet never mind the flexing that occurs in the wearing.

peteb

Elite Cafe Member
I forgot to mention that this material is available in 14kt gold which would reduce the cost, unless Native-engraver must use 24kt, which is not available from this company.

Latest posts

Sponsors