Mike Dubber's exquisite home run

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I had the pleasure of attending the Colt Collectors Association annual meeting this past weekend. Really enjoyed spending time with Weldon Lister, Les Schowe, and Mike Dubber- getting to know them better and enjoying their good company.

Now on to the show highlight. It is my understanding that one engraving award is given- the Howard Dove Award. This was won by Mike Dubber. He has won it multiple times over the years. His "Trail of Tears" was the winning entrant. Pull out your old issues of The Engraver and you will find a nice write up and photos of this outstanding gun. As a bonus and I do mean a BIG bonus it won the Best Single Weapon Post 1946 Award. Mike if I have this wrong please correct. This award is not an engraving award and is usually given to a unique piece that is rarely the Howard Dove winner or a piece engraved by a modern engraver. A rare double by Mike. Well done my friend.:tiphat:

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Lee, yes your are correct in your descriptions.

The Howard Dove Award (named for one of the now-deceased great Colt Custom Shop Engravers) is awarded by the CCA for The Best Engraved Colt at the show. Then, there are two categories for "Best Single Weapon." Those are 1) Pre-1946 and 2) Post-1946. That's to keep Post-WWII produced Colts from competing with with Pre-WWII Colts. In the eyes of Colt Mfg. Hartford, these dates are singularly significant because all "Sporting Firearms" production ceased during WWII in favor of War Production, and did not start again until after WWII.

The Best Single Weapon and Howard Dove Awards have been awarded only three times to a single entry. My Greatest Generation 1911 Colt won both categories in 2010. Leonard Francolini's pair of "Promontory Point" Colt SAA's won both categories in 2014. Below is a snapshot of the two Rampant Colt Bronze trophies (the larger is for Best Weapon) taken at the table during the CCA banquet Saturday evening. My entry, a 7 1/2" Colt with an engraving theme of 'The Trail of Tears" was photographed during the show by Paul Goodwin. I'll post those photos when they are available.....about two weeks.

MEANWHILE

Mr. Griffiths also produced an outstanding Colt 12" Barrel Colt SAA that was the 2015 CCA Show Gun. The gun was placed on the cover of the current issue of the Rampant Colt Magazine shown below (a story and photos occupied another six pages inside the issue). This annual CCA Show Gun is held as the final item on the CCA Auction held just prior to the banquet. I had the pleasure of introducing Lee and his wonderful "Heroes of the Alamo Colt" as he carried the gun around the auction room. Then Little John's Auctioneer took over and sold the gun for $25,000.00 !!

I also had the pleasure creating the Master Plate for Lee's creation. The gun is always presented in a beautifully produced Les Yoder wood and glass case with the Master Plate.

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
What great news! Bravo Mike and Lee! Honored to have you representing FEGA and knocking 'em dead with your killer engravings. :happyvise: :thumbsup: :beerchug:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
awesomme, stunning- and an entry into history of colt and the engravers art. pretty difficult to top that !

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I believe three other FEGA engravers were also at the show: Ben Lane, Bert Edmondston, and CJ Cai.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Excellent Mike.
You are upholding the proud tradition of colt masters stretching back nearly two centuries.
Congratulations!

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gerry, you are correct. Bert had some nicely engraved pistols on his table, CJ had his award winning "grizzly" gun, and Ben was enjoying the company of many long time friends. Also in attendance were two wonderfully engraved handguns- one by Gustave Young and the other by Frank Hendricks. A treat to see those two guns.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike's work on Colts over the years has been pure inspiration. They are some of the rare engravings that I can go back and look at over and over and each time come away with new found respect. A hearty congratulations to Mike for well deserved recognition.
Layne

Two wonderful engravers and very fine gentlemen! I have had the pleasure of meeting you both in person and remain impressed with your patience and time you spent with a beginning engraver. Mike- are you still giving lessons in your studio? I list this as one of my dream vacations.

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Yes, I do accept pre-approved students for training. That means I am entirely focused on offering advanced engravers the opportunity to study special techniques like gold inlay, bulino and sculpting; typically in three-day intensive study sessions. I still believe that basic, beginner and intermediate students do better in organized classes like those offered at GRS.

Last edited:

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Yes, and Les Schowe had a table there as well. The good folks from Nutmeg Sports were directly across the isle from me and Les - so were Kevin Cherry and the Colt Factory section. It was great show - always is!

For those of you who have never been to a Colt Collectors Association Show I would suggest that it is a very special event. Better yet it moves around the country annually - next year it will be held the at the Galt House Hotel in Louisville, KY the first weekend in October, and in 2017 the show is scheduled for St, Louis, MO.

You can visit the CCA web site at www.coltcollectors.com

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It was my first CCA show and I plan on making it an annual occurrence for me. It's an outstanding show to see the best of Colt firearms whether engraved or not.

Mike. Congrats on the Howard Dove award. A well earned distinction for your fine embellishments.

Lee. Great to see you again and I congratulate you on a very fine show gun.

Sponsors