Engravers block on e-bay

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
All it lacks is the leather donut base. They are beautiful little vises for display.

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
There are more than few guys on here that could make up a leather base.

Not that big a project - even if you hand sew it....

Finding horsehair might be problematical, but sawdust or sand will also do the job.

Brian

Brian, I did not know that they use horse hair to fill the leather base, I thought it was sand or similar, learn something new today, :)
thanks,

Richard.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Well, what can I say?

You gotta be old enough... and have hung around enough harness and saddle shops as a pup?

I had an old antique block and base that I completely restored once upon a time.

The leather base was dry and cracking. Seam ripped and the leather too old to hold a stitch. Made a new one using the horsehair stuffing from the old one.

Brian

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
a good buy @ 99 bucks. with 5 bidding days to go it will likely go way too high. for my wallet.

graniteguy52

Elite Cafe Member
Don,

If you are really interested in the block, email the seller and ask if they will make an exception. I have shipped things to other countries (with a US only tag on the item) after an email with that question asked. (A couple of times the shipping was higher than the item price).

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I one similar to this years ago. Sorry I sold it but as an interesting observation, it had a turned wood base as opposed to a leather pad. It held the vice very nicely and was extreemely easy to rotate. If you know anyone with a wood lathe it is very easy to turn

Latest posts

Sponsors