Concho

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It is very nice to see the shading progress, thank you

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
I'm having a heck of a time with my shading. I watched your video and my graver isn't cutting like yours. Could you tell me what, is your graver geometry and do you have a heel ? My cuts start out thick and heavy ( compared to yours ) and pretty much stays the same to the end.
I've tried 120 and 96 degree faces with very small heels . I just thought today that maybe I shouldn't use a heel at all. The cut looks more like a plowed furrow so I think I'm running in the heel and not cutting with the face. I've had this problem only when I try to do small, fine cuts . I'm pretty happy with my progress on bigger cuts it's those tiny ,fine shade cuts I'm having problems with.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

didyoung

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
speedy
try to not use any air power...sounds like you need to learn to start and run your graver using only your hands.
not being mean, but you need to be able to use your graver starting with a light touch.
start with small short straight lines for practice.
develop a feel for your graver.
have you ever tried to hand push your graver.
to key to doing this is using the engraving vise to turn the work into the graver....just like a lathe
I don't believe that its the shape of your graver...honest.....its operator error in most cases.
just like being able to draw....you must practice running your graver....don't let it run you.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
shawn: i really enjoy the concept of symmetry in design. yor conch is no exception-- really neat stuff ! btw: your video reinforces the principles in your book rather nicely. tyvm for that

Latest posts

Sponsors