Nifty transfer wax

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That looks great, Layne. I'll mix up a batch with lamp black and see if I can get similar results. I can get similar results with powdered lamp black but it's so dang messy that I only use it as a last resort. Mixed with wax it would seem like it'd be a lot easier to deal with.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That was the key here in that it's not a messy mix due to your formula. It just takes a very rich pigment and the Rub N Buff did the trick. Lamp black should work as well as long as the host wax doesn't lose it's consistency.
LZ.

Sam

Staff member
Ok, I ordered some ebony Rub N Buff from Amazon. I'd never heard of the stuff before but I have some coming. I see what you mean that the powdered lamp black might make the mix too stiff. Looking forward to trying this and thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

Sam

Staff member
Sam, did you try the Run n Buff yet. I am interested in how it turns out.

Yes I did, and my results aren't as good as Layne's. The Rub N Buff doesn't mix with the wax but settles to the bottom, so it has to be mixed in before the wax cools. Not a huge deal but kind of messy. But I couldn't get a really good transfer so I'll keep working with it. I taught a class right after I made it and then we're heading overseas so it'll be a couple of weeks before I can get back to experimenting with it.

My signature below was done with lamp black powder which works really well. I hope to get the transfer wax to perform like this. FYI, I engraved my signature on a steel plate first, and then transferred it to this Winchester floor plate for engraving. So you're seeing the piece of clear tape as well as the transfer.

ALFANO.jpg

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Sometimes we don't remember just how lucky we are to be hand engravers in the USA...

Relatively cheap and commonly available tools & equipment, parts and service, classes, workshops, private instruction, exhibitions/shows and an incredible range of quality materials to work in. (and with - as in the tape(s) mentioned earlier in this thread)

Relatively inexpensive and secure shipping compared to most of the world.

Hundreds of specialized niches to do our work in.

Very few bribes or "mordida" to pay...

Brian

Last edited:

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
http://www.texasart.com/adhesives/tape/transparent-tape/moore-crystal-clear-tape.html

or Scotch Transparent tape 600

Anyone willing to put a roll of either of these in an envelope heading to Australia will receive my thanks and the offer of a free engraved trinket with your name on it, or as a gift for someone. Maybe more inclined to Moore but I don't know why.

Pm me for my address... probably post here too so that folk know my overseas issue has been resolved. :)

Toad

Elite Cafe Member
I just got a couple rolls of Moore tape because it is a favorite of Sam. I'll let you all know how it works out later.
Todd

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Richard. I'll give that a try.

I just found a roll of Scotch 600 too.

Can be really good to have the wide tape on hand.

Thanks. Would be cool to try the Moore beside it and see how it goes, would you believe it My transfer wax has been lost since may, got my new one yesterday, found the old one today under the bench behind the drawers. Now I've got two... I feel sooooo much better having a tin or two back on my table. This stuff is so hard to live without once you come to love it.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Crawling around under your bench is a mandatory daily exercise routine... (even if not always necessary)

Keeps you flexible. Finding acrobatic gemstones, springs, ball bearings, small parts, lost tools and providing birth control to the breeding dust bunnies.

You also learn to make wire widgets to reach into places where your fingers can't go. Stimulates your creativity.

Keep small penlights around on every bench. Try to remember to change the batteries every coupla years.

One year I gave my partner in a jewelry store a pair of kneepads and a headlamp for Christmas to use for the "longer journeys". He still uses them to this day.

Brian

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors