Adobe Illustrator

I have no experience at all in Illustrator or Photoshop. I would like to be able to take a photo of an item, trace its outlines, and then do scroll backbones or borders on a template. Is there a how-to somewhere that will help me specifically with this? From the outside looking in this graphic design thing is very intimidating. Software is currently downloading on my mac to run the "cloud". I got the free trial thinking if I can learn to do what I want it would be more than worth the purchase. Thanks !

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
It's pretty easy to outline a photo with Illustrator. You'll need to learn to use the Pen Tool and make your tracing on a separate layer.
If you've never used Illustrator you should do yourself a favor and at least learn the tools before jumping into a project. Lynda.com is a great resource for training videos.

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
I really encourage you to follow through with Sam's suggestion of going to Linda.com and working your way through Basic's in the tutorials for Photoshop and Illustrator. I am currently working on one of the tutorials for Photoshop it is an 11+hr tutorial to complete. I take a tea break and do a short segment. These tutorial also set up work studies so that you learn by doing. Linda.com is the next best thing to studying with an expert which you should also seek out within your community.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if i were to start all over again-- i think it would be easier, less frustrating, and much more fun to just learn drawing. i use computers, as many do. for some things, drawing is less of a pita than fooling with the computer. mostly i draw oversize on paper, scan, then resize for a transfer. this works fairly quick for me. i never tried photoshop. i use coreldraw. i suppose both have a curve to them.

Gary Malone

I second the Lynda.com tutorials, when I did it couple years ago it was only $25 a month and unlimited lessons. No annual contract and you could stop at any time and restart if you wanted. Great company!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
There are often coupon codes and free month trials for Lynda.com. You might be able to beat the bushes and come up with something. I've seen trials included with cameras, software, etc.

Latergaters

Elite Cafe Member
Lynda.com is a great resource for training videos.

I agree it is very comprehensive, however it is also sleep inducing. For some reason whenever I start watching I almost immediately need a nap. I'm interested in the information and will use it but am unable to stay awake.

Johannes Huber

One thing that may also be of help is to purchase a Wacom graphic tablet. I've used these since 1991 when they first appeared and my present one has been in use since 2004 on over a dozen films, 5 video games and with various forms of abuse up to and including being an impromptu accidental hockey puck and it keeps ticking. The "bamboo" model is sometimes problematic when working with Win. 8/8.1 and possibly earlier (I don't use one of these but my digital sculpting students occasionally bring one in and we spend all kinds of time trying to make it work properly with the sculpting software.) so I don't recommend it. The Intuos model seem to be the most trouble free and I would recommend getting one of the smaller size models since the big ones are too cumbersome, at least for me. I wouldn't recommend the Cintiq model to start with unless you are already working in art/film work/ digital sculpting /etc. as a professional since it is both expensive and fragile and as a professional you can write it off as a business expense. I can't recommend the knockoffs that are cheaper as they are very hit or miss, but others may have had alternate experiences. The address for Wacom is: www.wacom.com. If you have any questions on them and I can help, don't hesitate to ask. I think Lynda.com may also have a unit on working with a graphics tablet so you may want to check on that if you're there. Hope this is of some help:)

Latest posts

Sponsors