Me having fun

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
Can everyone see the fun in my face? :( past three hours trying to track down the problem with out laser welder. Getting almost 40volts to spots I should be getting 24. Our laser is 13 years old so 90% of the parts are no longer made an the parts we do get have to be retro fitted

Can't wait to see how bad this new power supply is gonna be

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i know of your plight. i had to replace the laser tube in my machine. 5 grand down the drain. it was a nightmare to install and get it to the "home" position. i was too damn cheep to pay 500 bucks to get a factory guy here to install it. $ 500, + $150.00 per hour !!!!!!! took me 2 days, and a ruined nervous system, but it works. mine was an engraving laser, not a welding device. i replaced the power supply 3 years ago. the factory ps was around $400.00. i got a new one on the bay for $125. it had twice the capacity of the old one.

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
We have go throw the laser light about one every year and the gold box that containes it about every 18 months. With four of us here blasting away we rack up a ton of shots. But all that is fairly easy to swap out. The electrical system itself is way outdated. Like the ring light in the work chamber finally died an it was a 240 volt AC an the one we just installed was 24 volt DC so it had to be retro fited in :( and now it don't work because the power supply was sending it almost 40volts. We are getting two new lasers Jan 1 but we might have to advance that time frame a little

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I guess that's why they have lease programs. payments 100% tax deductible each year, no depreciation to figure out. Breaks down somebody else's problem.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
just so we're clear, when i 'liked' your post i was merely sympathizing, not enjoying anything about it.

;)

jbmfaceted

I have had that same look, and a bruised forehead from banging it on the wall after trying to diagnose problems with the "help" of the company help line, for me
it's cheaper to call the service guy and keep working on other things, and easier on my head

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
I know which is a scary thought !

my laser output is in watts . 30 watts focused on a spot less than a mm in dia. converts to a bonfire if not carefully tended to ! the power supply was cheap enough on the bay, but a true pita to install and get the focus where it belonged.

Sponsors