Buyer beware

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was browsing EBay last night and ran across this item. Brand CRS Mini Block Ball.
The block is a knock off of the GRS mini ball. Heck, they even use GRS artwork in the ad. Besides the engraving blocks there are knock off engraving machines and other items. Usually if it comes from China it is a knock off. I've seen several of these products and they are usually very poorly made. You are much better off looking for a used unit than trying to make one of these work. Like the old motto says... If you think it is too good to be true, chances are it is.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
People that buy those knockoff engraving machines and handpieces have no idea what they're getting into. When their work suffers they won't know if it's them, the machine, or the handpiece, and no one will be able to help them troubleshoot. A waste of money, time, and effort. You're on your own with that junk.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Trust your instincts on a lot of this garbage, especially the pricing. Many years ago, while on an apprenticeship, there were 'surplus' items for sale, reduced pricing, that were defective in some way as we found out too late. The Chinese garbage wasn't as plentiful, then, as it is now. I never buy their trash, and they seem to be only adept at making chow mein and babies. Wait 'til a used item comes up for sale, or save up your pennies for a good product.

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
Sit up and take a breath....If it is too good to be true then guess what? Supporting those thieving SOBs is destroying our economy...putting Americans out of work....spend your money here where you live...if you can't afford the original right now, suck it up and wait until you can...don't reward a thief, reward the inventor.

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
Trust your instincts on a lot of this garbage, especially the pricing.

Hear, hear. Yesterday's newspaper had a digital safe advertised for .... wait for it .... $29.00. Besides being of a size that you could just pick up and walk out with the only thing I would put in that safe would be worth less than $29- in total

Roger

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I almost bought a couple of power generators a while back...until looking through the manuals I noticed absolutely no "fingerprints" in them, meaning no addresses or phone numbers so one could order parts or warranty. You can tell so many of my tools and kitchen utensils are antiques because they say Made In The USA!!

Sam

Staff member
I wonder if/when China will turn this around. I was told that after the war, Japan knocked off products, and of course I know they produced cheaply made trinkets, pottery items, and transistor radios. Eventually they became a highly respected leader in manufacturing and "Made in Japan" is now a sign of quality as opposed to what it was when I was a kid.

Addertooth

China appears to be (very) slowly learning the concept of quality control. In the non-engraving markets, negative feedback from foreign (to China) seems to be shaping their efforts. The continued deflation of their currency has put the squeeze on their manufacturing, and has made them more receptive to responding to customer demands and complaints (for fear of losing market segments). I think it will be a decade (or more) before they are equivalent to 1980s Japanese quality. Like you Sam, I remember when Japanese products started to markedly improve, it was usually through the support of US quality control teams, or a US parent company defining standards for production. Heck, that Kamado Joe you bought in 2013 is a prime example of a Chinese produced product, with a US parent company. I would bet it has worked well for you. (As a disclosure, I own two Kamado Joe cookers).

Sam

Staff member
brisket.jpg

My Kamado Joe works exceptionally well and I never looked to see where it was made.

Smoked @ 225°F until the meat reaches 200°F.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My son has one of the green American made versions and loves it. At his previous house he had one of the oval shaped American made models. He said both companies started out together and split later. Then, the Chinese got into the market too.

Addertooth

The American brands of Kamado grills are... Big Green Egg, Primo (oval), Rocket (Galaxy Outdoors in Las Vegas), and the now defunct "Kamado" brand owned by Richard Johnson. The Richard Johnson was the original US patent holder on the design, but had business practices which destroyed his customer base. I still have one of his old Kamado K7s which was made in Sacramento. Big Green Egg is currently made in Mexico.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have seen chinese knock off vises up close, they are not as smooth as american ones. It is worth the extra money if you intend to be at all serious.

I can't remember for sure but I think they even put the GRS logo on the vise, don't quote me though I have the memory of a goldfish.

Save up and buy the real gear though for sure.

Thanks for posting this 'buyers beware'.

Latest posts

Sponsors