Question: Olympus SZ30 microscope

NicGregson

Hey guys,

I've recently started working with an Olympus SZ30 microscope.....can't believe how much nicer it is to work with a scope. Much more enjoyable!!! Can't believe I took this long to work with one.
Now I just need to find a second hand pedestal drill.....do you know how hard that is in Sydney? (Side note: Anyone in Sydney wanting to sell/part with an old pedestal drill that the rise and fall table is still smooth please let me know :biggrin: )

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has used or is using one of these microscopes and finds the eye tubes angled a bit too high? Or is that normal for scopes?
Also, I've been scouring the internet for a 0.5 auxiliary lens....I was under the impression that I couldn't just use any lens that it should be brand specific...or am I mistaken?

peteb

Elite Cafe Member
I found that I had to tilt my work table and Z30 forward about 12 degrees to work comfortably. I don't know anything about the lens I have but it work well on the lowest zoom setting.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Same here Pete, except my turntable and scope are tilted about 20°.
It makes all the difference !

At first I was afraid of the block sliding around, but the weight of the ball anchors it very well.

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
You need to buddy up with somebody who has machine shop capabilities. You can build adapters to fit your scope to use any lens you can find...Also a tilt adapter can be made with out to much trouble....I bought an older Zeiss and went through the same problems as you....
I can post pictures if you like....Good luck

Bob

NicGregson

Thanks for your help guys. Yeah, I thought they were angled a but I'll muddle through it until one day I can upgrade.
Bob, some pictures would be awesome thanks!! Did you still use a pedestal drill for focusing, although I guess if the microscope is on a tilt you'd have to adjust its height as well. All fun and games :)

Latest posts

Sponsors