Help with identifying handgun engraver

winstonwolfe

I am completely new to engraving and have only had Colt factory engraved guns. This signature on a Colt Detective Special gun done in the late 1950 (based on gun serial number from 1956) is not something I have ever seen. Colt has always signed it's engravings with the name of the master engraver below the serial number. If it helps, this gun has always been in Michigan and was carried by a well-known sheriff Williams (now deceased) in Genesee County. I would appreciate any help with identifying who did the engraving. Thank you! DS Engraved.jpg

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I do not believe either the G or M are the signature of the engraver. They are most likely assembly letters. Colt did not have a large staff of engravers in the 1950's. Robert (Bob) Burt and Earl Bieu did most of the engraving. If you will post images of the scrollwork on the sides and cylinder of the gun, I may be able to identify the engraver from that.

Last edited:

winstonwolfe

Unfortunately this picture is all I got. I will try to get a photo of the entire gun. The M looks like a typical assembly mark, but the G is not something I have seen on any of the Colts I have. It is much larger and seems to be in a different font. I was told by the owner that there are absolutely no other marks, not even under the grips, indicative of an engraver signature. Thank you for your help.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm no expert on colt factory work, but, that doesn't appear to be something that came out of their shop. just an opinion.

Latest posts

Sponsors