What happened to my silver?

graniteguy52

Elite Cafe Member
After better than a week of having a Argentium silver strip (bracelet) hot melt glued to a block of wood while I engraved it, I heated it with a heat gun and removed it to find some stains/etching on the reverse side. It took considerable sanding and polishing to remove the marks. Under the microscope it looked like it was etched.

Any ideas as to what I did wrong? It did not look like fingerprints, and had corresponding marks (very hard to see) on the hot melt glue. It was not residue glue.

Thanks for any information that will keep me from this problem in the future.

Attachments

• P1060111.jpg
    P1060111.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 334
  • P1060113.jpg
    P1060113.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 335

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
You had some kind of chemical reaction. I've noticed it before, but don't recall how long I had it glued. Wasn't as bad as yours.

Never liked that stuff... it is only "tarnish resistant" - not tarnish proof.

Thankfully, most of my clients have quit requesting it over the years.

If you drop it while it's hot (annealing) it shatters like a piece of glass.

The solder that you are supposed to use with it does not flow like "normal" solders. It has to be pushed around like peanut butter.

If you use other solders you get a dark line.

So far, I haven't had a problem fixturing it with one of the thermoplastics.

Brian

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
anybody's guess what rogue chemicals may be resident in the wood. that + heat is likely the culprit. i found favor putting 2 or 3 coats of clear, spray lacquer on the wood block first. this allows for easier removal of the hot melt with iso p alcohol. wood block good to go for next project. it's also possible the contaminants on your hands may enable such tarnish.

graniteguy52

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks delder, Monk, and Silverchip.

I must have gotten some gunk on my fingers from the last bunch of gremlins that I "deceased" and hung on the shop wall to deter more from showing up.
Time for a new plan.

Latest posts

Sponsors