Quick question for steel engraving

Cody3209

Never engraved before and really don't plan on going to far with it, maybe a knife or two or a shotgun receiver. I've been researching for a few days and can't seem to find an answer but my question is can I engrave a gun or knife(steel) with a non-air push graver( just a wood handle and a bit)? I've seen people do it on brass and copper(softer) but I haven't really been able to find out whether or not it's possible on steel.

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
There is a reason why people pay professional engravers to do engraving. It takes years of practise to do quality work. Hundreds of hours of practise on practise plates to get to the point where you can even consider engraving on a knife or a gun. I suggest you try your hand at cutting straight lines of equal depth on a mild steel practise plate before even considering the notion of engraving a knife of gun receiver. You need to learn to walk before you can run!

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
Perhaps if you have muscles like Popeye otherwise you could use hammer and chisel but either way if you don't plan to go too far into the skills you should get a professional to do the work - you may not be too happy with your results.

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
I would recommend against it, but would recommend getting a chasing hammer and practicing with that. then you will have the horse power to get through the tough stuff. ZZ

Cody3209

No this is a legit question I do realize this is something takes lots of practice, I didn't ask if I ordered the tools tonight could I have my shotgun and knives engraved by the weekend, I just really wanted to know if it was even possible, I can get a few grs bits a handle and a swivel vise for under $50, which isn't much to spend on a weekend hobby but it's not money I want to spend if it's not possible

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Some of the best engravers in the world do not use power assist. It takes quit an effort to master these skills but in direct answer to your question is Yess it can and is being done every day. Fred

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
Before you start to really engrave you should learn to draw simple scrolls. Also have you looked at youtube? There are how to videos there. Just cutting straight lines of even depth is the best thing that a beginner can do.

Addertooth

*warning novice perspective* Which may be quite appropriate in this case. I picked up some classic wooden handled gravers, and played with them a bit. Last night my *REDACTED* pneumatic engraver came in, and within a few minutes I was doing far better than I imagined possible. To me, it appeared a clear case where the (nearly) right tools make the job (and learning) substantially easier. If you are dead-set to give it a whirl (I was), you might want to consider carbide gravers for steel.

Last edited:

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
I agree with Richard, 100%.

As "Hill Country"Jim Riggs, told me years ago, H&C is like slow motion, allowing you to "SEE" what is going on with your cut. Learning in slow motion how to control the graver.

As far as books, I and many others recommend Ron Smith's books available from GRS. Ron breaks the leaf down into individual lines, telling you which leaf to draw first, second third, etc.

Also, you should show some initiative and seek out an H&C engraver in your area and spend some time with him, as it is ludicrous to jump in cold turkey not knowing the first thing about even the very basics.

So go back to your profile and list where you are located and you may find that your next door neighbor is a World Class engraver!

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
Perhaps if you have muscles like Popeye otherwise you could use hammer and chisel but either way if you don't plan to go too far into the skills you should get a professional to do the work - you may not be too happy with your results.
hammer2a.jpg
This was one of my early practise projects. Engraved entirely with hand push wooden handle HSS onglette gravers and without the use of an engravers vice. As you can see i slipped many times. The background was removed with a 1mm HSS ball burr with a Foredom flex shaft machine. It can be done with determination, patience, practise and control.