Value of hand engraved Beretta O/U

alfrisillo

I recently added a Beretta model s57e O/U to my collection. It is hand engraved and I think, quite nicely executed. I was very surprised to find that the total value of this gun is only about $1,000. That surprised me and I am wondering why such a low value. There is no way that amount of hand engraving could be done for todays total $1,000 value of the gun. Any thoughts?

receiver1.jpg receiver2.jpg receiver3.jpg

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
I agree with Monk on the shading bit. As for pricing, you'll never predict what the market will appear to be. Sometime, the piece will bring nice money, and, at other times, it's poison. Auctions are this way. Shading can be added, and may be a good idea. Put some shading on, and visit the sites to see what stuff like this may be going for. That's all you can do.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think you just got lucky in a weak market. The value of the gun sans engraving is near $1k.
In a recent Rock Island auction, 6 figure guns were going as low as 1/3 of their previous valuation.
Periodically, the collector's market re-adjusts itself. Guys who paid the big bucks get screwed and
others get the chance to enhance their collections at reasonable prices.

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Many engravers ask between $100 - $150 for this type of engraving in my country.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Some elements of the shotgun looked rolled/stamped, and other elements don't. You'd need razor sharp photography to see more. If so, the receiver & barrel may need finished machined, as stresses would show up along with dimensional changes. It might not hurt to hand cut the whole thing, depending on the time and dollar aspect of the venture. Also, the proper shading shouldn't be ignored. I don't know how many of these the Italians would've done by rolling/stamping, with the cost of making dies and the mortality rate. That'd be interesting to research, and know.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i took a long, hard look at this. i don't see what appears to be hand engraving. given the complexity of the design, there's too much "missing". just an opinion from a pair of old, worn out eyes.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Some elements of the shotgun looked rolled/stamped, and other elements don't. You'd need razor sharp photography to see more. If so, the receiver & barrel may need finished machined, as stresses would show up along with dimensional changes. It might not hurt to hand cut the whole thing, depending on the time and dollar aspect of the venture. Also, the proper shading shouldn't be ignored. I don't know how many of these the Italians would've done by rolling/stamping, with the cost of making dies and the mortality rate. That'd be interesting to research, and know.

Ron,

The vast majority of Beretta shotguns have roll die impressed ornamentation until you reach the SO level of sidelock guns. Many of the dies are hand engraved (sometimes by students) at the Bottega Cesere Giovanelli. Many guns, like the 687EELL that I shoot for sporting clays, are marked "Bottega Cesere Giovanelli, Inc." on the frame by the trigger. In the case of my Beretta, most all of is is die impressed except for the sideplates which have been hand shaded and detailed. Beretta keeps their dies in good condition. They have the most sophisticated die work I have ever seen on guns.

Latest posts

Sponsors