Just an idea... opinions wanted. We make a book?

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's probably a really bad idea and I haven't thought it through... but everyone knows that book I made of my work which I put in the for sale forum on here...

What if we all on here put our heads together and made a book together.

I was thinking inlay techniques and everything to do with it.

We could sell them to forum members. At cost + freight or with a little profit to go to helping run this forum?

Does Vista print operate in America?

Regards.
Danae.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It might be a better Idea to gear it to potential customers instead of preaching to the choir so to speak.At least it could potentially keep the engraving arts in front of people that we want to have see our work.Marketing to and educating the public can be a good thing,but we already have to do that.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Unlike Shawn's book which shows his Personal and therefore unique take on scroll developement, this subject is covered so widely that it may be redundant. Most inlay techniques are very similar and there's already a weath of information available.
Just my humble opinion but I am occasionally wrong.;)
Layne Z.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I hear you Layne. There is a wealth of information on this forum. I just find as a beginner it's a lot to sift through and digest. It may help to ease up the repetitive questions on inlay if there is a really good book on that subject that they can take out to the shed and sit next to them and work through it step by step.

We could cover tools and sources... different approaches ... different applications and heaps of stuff. ... geometry... tips chipping... bluing...

I have read a lot of threads on here but still couldn't say with confidence I know what I am doing. Life is so short and we have so much to learn. Why not speed up the process. I am happy to do the bulk of the work.. all I want is a copy.

Anyhow. Just an idea.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
yes, Danae, Vista Print is in the USA. i know this because i hear 20 radio ads a day for "500 business cards for $10"...

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
yes, Danae, Vista Print is in the USA. i know this because i hear 20 radio ads a day for "500 business cards for $10"...

a year ago i bought a batch of cards from them. needless to say, when i got them in the mail-- i went to a local printer. i did get quality there, and also paid for it !

monk

Staff member
danae: i think the bit of "too much info out there to sift thru" is a croc ! yes , there's a lot there, i admit.
i sure wish that informational oversupply had been around when i started. i don't feel as though i'm alone here, either.
the info "out there" is just waiting to be absorbed by anybody wishing to learn about this fascinating art. unfortunately, many, or at least a few nubies seem to want an easy ride into the art. even with all the info-- 2 forums, a host of engravers providing instruction, videos and etc-------------- really learning this art is no "walk in the park".
i personally have great admiration for the body of work that that you have shared. having said that, i think another "how it's done" book would just add to what's already out there.
as above, i bought shawns' book which showed his insight into design development.
if you choose to do a book, i wish you luck and godspeed.

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
danae: i think the bit of "too much info out there to sift thru" is a croc ! yes , there's a lot there, i admit.
i sure wish that informational oversupply had been around when i started. i don't feel as though i'm alone here, either.
the info "out there" is just waiting to be absorbed by anybody wishing to learn about this fascinating art. unfortunately, many, or at least a few nubies seem to want an easy ride into the art. even with all the info-- 2 forums, a host of engravers providing instruction, videos and etc-------------- really learning this art is no "walk in the park".
i personally have great admiration for the body of work that that you have shared. having said that, i think another "how it's done" book would just add to what's already out there.
as above, i bought shawns' book which showed his insight into design development.
if you choose to do a book, i wish you luck and godspeed.

With the limited years I have to learn, I am waiting for this, :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6AOpomu9V6Q

Richard.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Please note the title... we make a book... not I. If I wrote a book on all my expert knowledge on any subject it would be short indeed.

:tiphat:

Back to Google I guess.

monk

Staff member
Please note the title... we make a book... not I. If I wrote a book on all my expert knowledge on any subject it would be short indeed.

:tiphat:

Back to Google I guess.

yeah-- i knew that. poor choice of words on my part. sorry if i offended you-- such was not my intention.

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
There is already a book, it is the forum. If people would take the time to read old threads and keep a notebook, they would find 99% of the info has been hashed and rehashed multiple times.

Most forums already have all of the answers that a beginner needs. But in today society too many wants instant gratification, they want to know what the answer is before they even know what the questions are. When I started on this forum I started keeping an electronic notebook on my computer. If I have a problem or question, I can usually find it faster in my notes than starting a thread and waiting for answers. Anyone could write a book with all of the experts answers that can be taken from info on the forum. All they need is time, and more experience than I have.

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
I think a new book is always a good idea, it give a precise direction and help focus on specific task. I learn to do some programming with books and I hate to lose time searching for free information when just a few dollars make them available at a fingertip. This say I think that a teaching book as a "collaborative effort" would be difficult to achieve, too many way to do the same thing, too many styles and techniques you would have to be ignored. We may all agree on the very basic but beyond that I do not think that 5 engravers in a same room could agree on much more which would bring more difficult (uncomfortable) decision.
I think the best way would be to select a specific individual to describe his/her own technique for a specific task.

Good luck

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For several years I have had a series of books in mind that will cover very specific areas of engraving. It's mainly a matter of time. Writing a book can be quite time consuming and adding a dvd companion increases it that much more. I am about ready to begin the project.

Latest posts

Sponsors