Uberti pistols......engravable?

WDA

I was recently asked about some Uberti pistols as to their suitability for engraving.
They are reproductions of saa's and are done in stainless. Another was a Uberti copy of a Schofield pistol, and to me it looks like nickel plating on it. If any one has
experience with these I would appreciate your input.

Thanks, Bill Albers

ron p. nott

Elite Cafe Member
hi Bill .. in my years of engraving i have engraved many Uberti saa and they cut very well , now i have never done any ss steel saa.. ron p

WDA

Thanks Ron and Yves. I appreciate your input. I thought the regular stainless would probably
be doable. The Schofield looks to be more of a challenge, I think it is a nickel plating on it and
would probably need a lot more steps to engrave it. It is an interesting piece for engraving lay-
out though.

Best regards, Bill

Raul Hinz

Bill I finish a Uberti ss it was not hard the hammer is temper so it is hard go for it it was a pleasure cut
good lock

Raul Hinz

Attachments

• DSCN1265.jpg
    DSCN1265.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 216

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
I'm engraving a Uberti SS clone of a Colt Model P:handpiece:. I was looking for info on if anyone had problems with the material being hard. I started cutting on the top strap. I got borders cut on both sides of the top strap and had the tip fracture on me 2x (using c-max). I resharpened to mirror finish and started on the leaves and immediately fractured the tip again. This isn't the usual dulling. I'm having to resharpen with the 180 gator wheel through to ceramic wheel. I'm cutting about 1-inch before tip fractures. I just did F engraving on a Uberti 66 carbine, 1851 navy confederate pistol, 2 brass uberti back straps, and numerous steel practice plates with the same graver without problems and only resharpened 1x per day just because. I tried my NGraver carbide and they fractured also. Any help will be appreciated.:shock:

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
From what I have read on this forum, I believe that Uberti and Ruger firearms are somewhat veriable in ease of engraving. :thinking:

That said, I have yet to come across an example of either which I had any trouble with. :biggrin:

I've had the most trouble (lost time sharpening, rather than cutting!:mad:) with Colt SS slides.

I have added the line "I'll test a unseen spot for engravablity, and if it's engravable it will cost X" to these guns, to keep faith with my customers.

Latest posts

Sponsors