sd3

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Shawn,

Why on many of your scrolls do the main backbones take an abrupt right turn instead of flowing gracefully off of the starting leaf elements ? I have noticed this on a lot of your designs and am curious whether it's done this way for a reason. It seems to interrupt the flow of the designs.

didyoung

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Its either something thing that you don't like about my sketches or me just
playing around to see what's possible.

draw an arrow or circle what you talking about.
i don't claim to be a master...i am still learning just
like most others on the forum.
I am sure that you got lots that i can learn from

whatever advice that you or anyone else has to offer
i am ready to and willing to receive it.
i want to improve.
i don't need to flash a critique sign.
for you to jump in and offer up another solution.
if you see something that should be fixed point it out.
better yet show me and turn this into a
learning experience for everyone

when I first drew in the backbone this is the direction it grew....or the original path of the backbone.

is this the portion of the sketch that you don't care for?

if it is.......:thinking: I do see that it could be corrected by turning the leaf elements in a counter clockwise direction to line up the flow of the scroll.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Marcelo

Elite Cafe Member
Beautiful words to a beautiful purpose. The design is very beautiful.

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Here you go. I drew it with modification to show possibility. It may not be how I would do it but I wanted to stay with what you drew . Your design is nice I have just noticed similar things in what you have been drawing.

2015-09-15 22-25-58.561.jpg

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's sometimes hard to keep good flow when coming from behind a larger element. Often even though something is technically correct, it won't be visually correct, and therefore must be corrected. Kinda like that last sentence.
The spot Chris pointed out is a great example. The backbone on the origin leaf is a bit too straight and leads the eye up and left instead of clockwise. I've fallen into that kinda trap more times than I can count. Often don't notice till it's too late.
Layne

oh how I learn a lot when I read these threads concerning the details of the design, and it is wonderful to see the various proposals for alternative solutions from a basic idea. For me it is very instructive and inspiring. Important I think that instead of criticism of others' design instead indicate alternative suggestions.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Shawn, your yellow line indicates the correction I would make so that the mind's eye can more easily carry the backbone correctly into the base. It always is a matter of flow...flow...and flow!

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, As I was reading this thread and having coffee this morning this popped into my head - To Row, Row, Row your boat:

Flow, flow, flow your scroll,
Gently round and round,
Planning, trying, sketching, drawing,
Good things will abound!

Hope that isn't too crazy! Love to see the drawing progressions. Thanks!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
It's harder to get good flow when the origin is a heavy structure with heavy elements growing from it in such close proximity. I think Chris has provided the best solution for flow while keeping the design close to your original drawing.

dhall

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I understand Chris' observation, and appreciate learning how others interpret this design. My perception is that since we can see "inside" the beginning of the scroll, as the leaf appears to be turned, I felt the part of the scroll that Chris was commenting on was actually "turned" towards the viewer, and therefore the backbone of the scroll would have been foreshortened, and it looks correct to me. Interesting how each of us is sensitive to different nuances in a drawing. The sense of a turned, three dimensional, foreshortened object is plausible for me because of what I see as carefully crafted shading, designed to reinforce the sense of an object rotated a bit in space.

Best regards,
Doug

didyoung

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
thanks tira and everyone else.
there are different views and likes....we wont please everyone, but its nice to have most of the crowd like your work.
if I redone the sketch I would work on the main flow of the backbone and change the flower.

:drawing::tiphat:

Attachments

• cc1.jpg
    cc1.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 78

Latest posts

Sponsors