Jewelers in The Engraver!!

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks to Andrew for another great issue of the Engraver. In particular for featuring jewelry in great light. 3 jewelry engravers in one issue! (Though I had no jewelry to contribute)
It was a pleasure to see Sam's monogram work. A lost art form in my opinion and much harder than it looks to pull off well.
While I do enjoy guns, jewelry will always be my first love.
How you find the time To bring us this magazine Andrew I'll never know!
Layne

Last edited:

colinskelly

Yes! thank you Andrew. I love the magazine and look forward to reading each new issue. Its very inspiring. I'm very humbled to have some of my work along side some of the super stars in this industry. I can't wait to meet some of my hero's at Vegas in 2016. Hopefully life will cooperate with those plans.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hmmm... If there is that much demand for jewelry engraving articles, we should have a Jewelry Engravers Guild of America.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
<"Maybe there should be a filter for $&@-/: comments">

Ummm Dave,

Gerry hasn't been around long enough to know how FEGA became more "open" to engravers of other persuasions... as well as becoming "international".

Go back in time some... I can remember quite clearly how it came to be - and it was for precisely that reason. (and a coupla others)

Brian

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Here's what I propose:

Firearms Engravers Guild of America
Knife Engravers Guild of America
Coin Engravers Guild of America
Pen Engravers Guild of America
Motorcycle Engravers Guild of America
Watch Engravers Guild of America
Spur Engravers Guild of America
Fly Rod Engravers Guild of America
Western Brightcut Engravers Guild of America
Musical Instrument Engravers Guild of America

That way engravers can stick to their own kind and not be intruded upon by outsiders who engrave different things than we do.

I hope I haven't overlooked any.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Brian: Sorry I can't help you. You'll have to consult the Stay In Business Guild of America for that info. ;)

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
Here's what I propose:

Firearms Engravers Guild of America
Knife Engravers Guild of America
Coin Engravers Guild of America
Pen Engravers Guild of America
Motorcycle Engravers Guild of America
Watch Engravers Guild of America
Spur Engravers Guild of America
Fly Rod Engravers Guild of America
Western Brightcut Engravers Guild of America
Musical Instrument Engravers Guild of America

That way engravers can stick to their own kind and not be intruded upon by outsiders who engrave different things than we do.

I hope I haven't overlooked any.

Sam,

You are getting on the right track but there is no need to be too exclusive. With the number of members shown in this forum to come from outside the US borders you could have those guilds mentioned but eliminate the last two words on each line.

Roger

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It actually sounds good if Andrew will do a magazine for each. Imagine that... An Engraver magzine every 2 or 3 weeks. I'm all in.

Andrew Biggs

Sorry about the late reply. I’ve been away overseas for the last couple of weeks demonstrating in Bangkok and Hong Kong. Amazing places!!!!

Yes, FEGA has come a long way over the last 35 years. And so it should. All organisations need to adopt and adapt to the world they live in or run the risk of being left behind.

Its been a real pleasure and privilege to be the editor of the FEGA Engraver magazine.

The vast majority of our members engrave all sort of canvases. Jewellery, knives, guns and all sorts of weird and wonderful things. And they all have one thing in common………..Engraving.After all, a professional engraver needs a steady stream of work to put food on the table, beer in the fridge and pay the bills. Some FEGA members are gun only engravers but they are in the minority.

The techniques and designs used on one canvas are easily transferred to another. There is no gun or jewellery specific engraving as everything is cross pollenated. I have seen every technique on just about every canvas imaginable. The techniques are the same no matter the surface.

At the end of the day there is only engraving………..and then there is the canvas we choose to put it on.

Whilst guns are at the very core of FEGA and why it was formed I think FEGA has moved forward in a very positive direction over the years. As the editor of the magazine I will continue to foster this cross pollination of all the engraving work that the members do in their daily lives………..because it enriches all of us and we all learn something from it.

Cheers
Andrew

Sponsors