Engraved Kershaw Pocket Knives

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
A very thoughtful father in Texas asked if I would hand engrave two pocket knives he purchased for his sons. He asked to have his son’s initials engraved into each knife along with some scroll and floral design. I tried to work the large screw head into the design on both sides rather than simply work around it. I cut the intials in deep relief fashion so they would stand out. These little Kershaw knives are not expensive but I would bet that the two boys will think they are worth a million bucks and always treasure this gift from their father! Won't make the cover of engraver magazine but I love doing work like this that is so meaningful :)

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You might find you will develop a fondness for transfer wax for its not flaking away while you work and you can get finer details in... each to his own.

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
You might find you will develop a fondness for transfer wax for its not flaking away while you work and you can get finer details in... each to his own.

Thanks. Are you referring to drawing directly on the knife? In this case I used a transparency printed transfer for just the scroll backbones and large initial then freehanded the rest.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
very nice. when i use the inkjet for transfer, on average, i wait 15 minutes. that way i get a very clean line. if done too soon, the ink will squish out.

Marcelo

Elite Cafe Member
Very beautiful. I think one of the most beautiful things is a well made scroll backbones like yours. congratulations. What did you use to fix the knives while engraving?

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Very beautiful. I think one of the most beautiful things is a well made scroll backbones like yours. congratulations. What did you use to fix the knives while engraving?

Thank you Marcelo. On these I used hot glue. Sometimes I use thermo loc.