Shibuichi tsuba

Jim Kelso

Elite Cafe Member
Since the early 90s I’ve often used the Japanese alloys in unconventional ways. One of my bucket-list items has been to return to a more conventional use to honor the respect and admiration I have for the kinko tradition. Discovering Japanese work in 1981 was a watershed moment for me both artistically and technically. There was very little available then about how the work was done.

I learned a tremendous amount on this piece and I have so much respect for the Japanese metal artists and the range of artistic effects they achieved and the superb technique involved. To be clear, I have never followed a strictly traditional Japanese regimen; I made a choice nearly 20 years ago not to abandon my earlier engraving methods, and to proceed with the hybrid practices that had served me well since discovering Japanese work in 1981. In the end, to me, it is the final result that speaks clearest about whether ones approach is effective, appropriate and pleasing.

I have not made a soft-metal tsuba for many years and wanted to return to this form with whatever gains I’ve made over the intervening years. I also wanted to incorporate a snowy theme, as well as the quietude of a moonlit winter evening.

I doubt that I’ll produce such an involved tsuba again. I’m very happy to have produced this piece, but the muse keeps whispering along other directions.

Materials are; 50%copper/50%silver shibuichi for the body, the shibuichi pine needles are 15%silver/85%copper, pine cones are copper and the snow is pure silver. Phillip Baldwin made the shibuichi alloys for me.

dimension is 65mm x 71mm IMGP9316PSEweb.jpg IMGP9324PSEweb.jpg IMGP9325PSEweb.jpg

Last edited:

Jim Kelso

Elite Cafe Member
Oh yeah, the ura(simpler) side shows an owl's wing-tip prints in the snow.

Addertooth

Fantastic job! What got me recently interested in engraving was knife making and restoring/upgrading Japanese-style swords. It is wonderful to see a modern example of this style.

Jim Kelso

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks very much guys for all the kind comments!

Doc-san, please give my regards to Becky. Hope you are both well.

Sam, thanks so much for your comment and the photo-pin!

Jim

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
it's been far too long, sir. it's a treat to see each and every post you have made. wish there were more. the piece you show does, indeed, evoke a feeling of serenity. many other feelings as well. i just have no appropriate words to express them. thanks for taking the time to share this with the forum.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Inspiring. And speaking of Shibuichi.... A friend came into my shop and sold us a pile of silver ingots, sheet and wire that was purchased at an estate sale. There were Japanese characters on most of the ingots. I had my suspicions and sure enough, upon assay half the ingots were Shibuichi. Now if I can only use it half as well as you have done here I'll be a happy man!
Layne

Latest posts

Sponsors