Gravermeister belt shredded.

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
Question for anyone with experience with Meisters... About a year and a half ago I upgraded my Meister to the high speed version. This kit included a new belt(my belt was the same one that it came with in the 80's) So today I'm piddling an all of a sudden my strokes per minute just dies off. I pop the cover off an the belt looks like Freddie Kruger got ahold of it :(
Is this something I should just replace yearly or is this a fluke ?

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
huh. i drove one like i stole it for years and never had to replace a belt. did you inspect the inner surfaces of the sheaves for a bur or rough spot?

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Mine is the older version, purchased, used, in the early 80's. Haven't fired it up lately, but all works OK. Possibly, when you upgraded, you somehow nicked a pulley as a new belt wouldn't be aged. This is just a guess. Sometime, in trying to find an odd size belt, the sewing machine repair guys, as well as those who repair vacuum cleaners, might have a belt that would spec out to what you need. Also, pulley specs, and belt specs, have to be within certain parameters, just as crane sheaves and their respective cables have to be. I'd be interested to hear what your analysis provides.

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member

Here is the belt. I checked the pulleys out for any sort of burrs or rough spots. Everything felt ok.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I had one come apart on mine which is a 79 model like that. Like me it just seems to have aged overnight. GRS told me it was probably caused by changing the speed with the machine off. Fred

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
my belt-- the original one, is still going strong. i bought the meister back in the dark ages. a bit of belt dressing now & then is all i ever did. the belt you show must not be an original product. these belts should never fail as yours did. if the upgrade increases strain on the belt, the supplier should provide belts made for the increased demand on them.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
As an afterthought, of which I get many, it occurred that, depending upon how far down you tore down your machine, there may be a pulley misalignment allowing the pulley edges to constantly chafe the belt and begin the shredding process. The pulleys have to be aligned exactly to prevent this, and sometime it's difficult to do so. All pulley alignment applications do have to be done precisely. This is something you should check out.

J.Hayes

Here is the belt. I checked the pulleys out for any sort of burrs or rough spots. Everything felt ok.

Mine did the same thing, same belt too. I called GRS and was told thst belt was discontinued and I needed to buy a $40 pulley and belt kit. What did you end up doing? BTW I've put probably 6 to 8 hours on mine using a heavy O ring as a belt. ....

Note, my machine was original with the high speed valve, and oil free. I have another at work with a low speed and oil pump, I will peak at its belt tomorrow

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors