Silly idea to reduce vibration?

Latergaters

Elite Cafe Member
I'm having a hard time finding a decently priced used drill press to use as a stand for my vise. The vibration is driving me batty.

While discussing this with my husband I joked that I was getting ready to buy a couple bags of concrete, a long shallow Rubbermaid tub, some steel pipe, and plastic sheeting to make one that can't vibrate.

Lay the plastic on the floor, tape the tub upside down on it, cut a hole for the pipe, fill with concrete, put the pipe in, fill with more concrete and plumb, set some sort of table top on into the concrete.

I'm in an unfinished basement so it's doable but not sure it'd be the best option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

graniteguy52

Elite Cafe Member
Niesha,

After watching Craig's list for about a month (and missing the great deals by just hours), I broke down and bought a Harbor Freight drill press. First, I did a internet search for Harbor Freight coupons and found a 25% off coupon. Then I sold the top of the drill press on Craig's list for $100 (listed it for $125) Over all price - $100 - till I bought a couple of $50 dollar bags of lead shot to help remove the high magnification vibration (it's very slight and usually only when removing background). And the lead can always go to a good cause (reloading). The biggest advantage is the quick height adjustment - made it all worth while.

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Niesha,

After watching Craig's list for about a month (and missing the great deals by just hours), I broke down and bought a Harbor Freight drill press. First, I did a internet search for Harbor Freight coupons and found a 25% off coupon. Then I sold the top of the drill press on Craig's list for $100 (listed it for $125) Over all price - $100 - till I bought a couple of $50 dollar bags of lead shot to help remove the high magnification vibration (it's very slight and usually only when removing background). And the lead can always go to a good http://fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.html?id=69720. The biggest advantage is the quick height adjustment - made it all worth while.
Add some automotive ball bearings, and you also have a turntable.

Saludos,
Carlos

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i kept the motor, placed it in a white kitchen thrash can, set the base in the opposite direction, and placed the trash can on the base, serves to hold it in place. If I ever need the motor, well 10 min to set and good to go

Saludos,
Carlos

Latergaters

Elite Cafe Member
Niesha,

After watching Craig's list for about a month (and missing the great deals by just hours), I broke down and bought a Harbor Freight drill press. First, I did a internet search for Harbor Freight coupons and found a 25% off coupon. Then I sold the top of the drill press on Craig's list for $100 (listed it for $125) Over all price - $100 - till I bought a couple of $50 dollar bags of lead shot to help remove the high magnification vibration (it's very slight and usually only when removing background). And the lead can always go to a good cause (reloading). The biggest advantage is the quick height adjustment - made it all worth while.
I hadn't thought about off setting the cost by selling the drill. I tend to be on the frugal side and buying a a new drill for just the base was bugging me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk