Photoshop

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
It looks like you can buy the full version now for $699 straight out or monthly on the cloud for $49.99 monthly or $599 full year. After CS5 they went strictly to the cloud version and a monthly payment plan, I suspect they were trying to keep a steady income coming in rather than just spiking sales with new releases. I prefer the disk as opposed to the cloud but with the cloud you don't have to worry about backing up your work.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I've been using CC for about a year now. I really dislike paying monthly but I've gotten used to it. I have all of the Adobe products for 50 bucks a month.

I wasn't aware that you could still by CS6. I thought they stopped supporting it and/or will no longer add new features to it. I would never pay $600 for software that's near the end of its lifespan.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Last edited:

grumpyphil

Elite Cafe Member
I have Photoshop CC along with Lightroom and that package is $10 a month. I also have CS6 on one of my machines and I hesitated for a long time about signing up but now that I have, I glad for it. Having the apps all be current and having them available on every machine I use is really nice.

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I seem to remember that CS2? Was free, I have been using CS3 since it came out, I can't see the point of getting higher versions to be honest, I have been engraving for one or two years and it does everything I need it to!

Phil

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
That is funny Phil!! I have Photoshop 5 on an old laptop that still does all and more than I can. Also Element 8 on this computer that does even more. Guess I am just not geeeeeky enough.

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
Phil you are right, CS3 will do all you need it to do and more. Like the newer IPhone's just more features and upgrades when all you really need it for is make calls.
Although some of the upgrades are pretty neat & useful....

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam W/Jeff,

Photoshop has to produce new features etc to keep it going and profitable, like Sam, I can't see the point of spending $600 for these extras :rolleyes:

Phil

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I guess it depends on what you use Photoshop for. I do quite a lot of photography and graphics so many of the new features make editing faster and easier and I really appreciate them. There are also plenty of other features I don't use. For basic editing Photoshop Elements will probably suffice for many people, and more and more people use Lightroom.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lightroom

more and more people use Lightroom.

I've seen a lot of digital photos produced by "pro" photographers (those that bought a camera and decided they were a pro) get ruined with apparently the default settings in Lightroom. I'd suggest that people check the default Save As settings to make sure they are at 300 dpi or higher. The ruined images were saved at 72 dpi as it was in the EXIF info recorded in the images. :confused: :eek:

maplesm

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the input. I have seen "Open Box CS6" for around $300 but have heard that Adobe will not respond to assistance or upgrades for the stand alone product. I have CS2 and works fine for what I do with scrimshaw but I also do a bit of photography.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I hate that the software companies are going to cloud versions. Some of us rural folk do not have access to the internet other than our cellphones.

Last edited:

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think we are getting a little too carried away here with the "must have" lastest updated technology here people. Photoshop is a magnificent graphic tool but unless you are a skilled operator of this program it is total overkill with its potential for our meager needs. I am using photoshop 7. Yes it is ancient but it works wonders for everything I use it for from layouts to photography. Think of your needs and skills before you get carried away with upgrades. The latests tools and technology might not be necessary for our needs. Everyone is different here, so think about you ultimate goals and resources. Why pay for a program that you would only use 5% of its potential. Get an older version that works great.

Mike Bissell

Elite Cafe Member
Well said Marty. That's what I use. Unless you are a professional graphic artist then you may have a need for one of the latest versions.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I often draw on paper then transfer to the metal. To me the transfer is strictly to place elements in their proper place, and I then redraw the design on the polished metal very lightly with a sharp scribe, being able to burnish off and redraw until I am satisfied. I treat transfers from one side to the other (mirror) just the same. Frank Hendricks said once that gun (or any kind I presume) engraving was being able to draw what you want to cut and to cut what you draw.

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
I think we are getting a little too carried away here with the "must have" lastest updated technology here people. Photoshop is a magnificent graphic tool but unless you are a skilled operator of this program it is total overkill with its potential for our meager needs. I am using photoshop 7. Yes it is ancient but it works wonders for everything I use it for from layouts to photography. Think of your needs and skills before you get carried away with upgrades. The latests tools and technology might not be necessary for our needs. Everyone is different here, so think about you ultimate goals and resources. Why pay for a program that you would only use 5% of its potential. Get an older version that works great.

I have just downloaded SC2 for free from this link,

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs2-product-downloads.html

click on English, then scroll down to Photoshop CS2 select MAC or Win, copy the serial number and download,
works great for what I want to do with it,

Richard,

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors