hobo nickel Secreto BY Pedro C.

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
beautiful ! do you use spring wire in the hinge ?

Monk,

Far be it for me to reply on behalf of Pedroc but I would normally ream out the hinge to make sure that it is straight and tapered, run a ball burr quickly in the ends of the hinge to create a small depression, use a slightly tapered silver wire in the hinge and tap down the ends to fill the depressions.

If you decide to have hinge ends that are shaped round to match the shape of the piece, ream the hole straight (and ream the knuckles that are on the side of the piece that the end tubes are not joined - in the pictured item it will be the centre knuckle - a little bit more). Don't worry about using the ball burr. Use hard silver wire that has been tapered and force it into the hole so that it grips the end tubes but so that the hinge has a little "give" when opened.

Roger

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Monk,

Far be it for me to reply on behalf of Pedroc but I would normally ream out the hinge to make sure that it is straight and tapered, run a ball burr quickly in the ends of the hinge to create a small depression, use a slightly tapered silver wire in the hinge and tap down the ends to fill the depressions.

If you decide to have hinge ends that are shaped round to match the shape of the piece, ream the hole straight (and ream the knuckles that are on the side of the piece that the end tubes are not joined - in the pictured item it will be the centre knuckle - a little bit more). Don't worry about using the ball burr. Use hard silver wire that has been tapered and force it into the hole so that it grips the end tubes but so that the hinge has a little "give" when opened.

Roger

hmmm-- maybe that's why i don't make hinges for tiny things. have forged them of iron for gates and doors. not sure i'd want to do one that small