Question: Tom White power hone

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
I recently purchased one. It's very well made. The things that sold me on it was the variable speed (0 to 3,000 rpm), & adjustable disk height. It would be perfect if the direction of rotation could be changed, but I don't miss this feature.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yep a fine product, a high speed horizontal grinder for roughing out gravers and a low speed hone for finish and polish.

mrthe

the ensharp ones are really nice power hone i have one, but the disk height is not adjustable.
Tom White one is the way to gi if you need that feature.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have two, love them both. My old GRS power hones are relegated to the cupboard.
A word of caution, it is very easy to embrittle your tool edge at the microscopic level, from heating and cooling while grinding. The wheel moves so fast, if you are not careful, it can burn the edge without getting the tool noticeably hot, so be aware.
Of course at low settings this is not a problem, so- i would suggest roughing at higher speeds, and put on the face, belly etc, with the lower speeds.
If course this is not as much of a worry with the GRS equipment, because it always runs at a lower speed.

Last edited:

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I finally got a hold of Tom. Ordered two. I have been studying heat treating for a long time because I make a lot of tools. Every engraver should read up on heat treating high speed steel and carbide. You cannot anneal either one by simply heating it to a 1000° F and letting it cool. As far as embrittling goes that may be true. Nevertheless My graver tips are so small they cannot be sharpened at high speed. Sometimes I just turn the wheel by hand.
I like Berry's philosophy. People make their own box. Most people who say can't never tried.

Last edited: