Help, please: transparency tranfers

jbrayout

Hello,
After reading all the tips and trying the ones I have the supplies for, I am having problems with transferring with a transparency.
I printed on the bumpy side, and tried the alcohol and Damar method. I tried putting Damar on the metal then put on transparency when sticky. Applied alcohol and burnished. Then did the same thing trying Acetone. No go, little or no transfer.
Obviously I am missing something.
I saw where it was suggested to use white board pen on the bumpy side of the transparency and applied Chinese white to the metal and burnished. What color white board pen works best.
The computer paper method works well, but placement is very hit or miss. I know you get tired of these questions, but your help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Jenny

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
It's been a while since I used the clear transparency but did you use an ink jet printer? Clean the metal with acetone before applying the Damar/lighter fluid mix? Once placing the transparency you should only need to burnish - applying acetone at this point on a transparency serves no purpose.

I use the baking paper method - clean the metal with acetone, print on baking paper using a laser printer and burnish onto the metal on which Damar / lighter fluid has been applied. Works great with lines - not so much with solid areas.

Roger

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use a mix of 80% naptha (Zippo lighter fluid) and damar varnish. The naptha evaporates quickly so I don't have to wait as long. I use parchment paper (baking paper without wax) because I can see through it pretty well for placement and I'm cheap (transparancies are expensive in comparison).

Are you using laser or inkjet?

Last edited:

jbrayout

Thank you. I will try these ideas. Fabricating is hard enough, very frustrating not to be able to transfer a design.
Thanks again
Jenny

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
check the tips section. there's lots of methods there for one to try.

jbrayout

Thank you. I will try these ideas. Fabricating is hard enough, very frustrating not to be able to transfer a design.
Thanks again
Jenny

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Jenny,

Some brands of transparency film and ink do not give good results. Can you tell us what you are using?

Regards,

jbrayout

I use a laser printer: how do you feed the parchment paper through the printer? Thanks

jbrayout

I used HP premium Inkjet tranparency film. Darn, I just realizd it is for Inkjets, is that my problem? I am going to try the parchmenbt paper tomorrow,if that fails what type of transpaency paper do you recomend for a laser printer?
Thanks

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
Jenny,

Print the image you want on standard printer paper, glue the baking paper onto the page where the image is using a glue stick or tape adhesive (this is what I use). I make several copies on the same page to be sure that you get a couple of complete images but make sure you fold the baking paper over the top of the page and secure it with glue otherwise the two papers might separate and get stuck in the printer.
As I said earlier this method is good for line art but if your image has a solid area convert it to lines before printing or the toner might just flake off leaving a mess.

Roger

The other thing is that not all transparency films work - Epson used to be great but they changed the film. You will find all of this in the site search or archives. I suggest a search for Tom White

Last edited:

jbrayout

The transfers were a success, lighter fluid made quite a difference. Lighter fluid and Damar varnish mixture works very well with both the transparency and computer paper. Thanks again.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
On Parchment paper and transparencies I print on the printerpaper paper then cut a piece of parhment or yra.spancy and tape it over the printed area and reprint.

Latest posts

Sponsors