Engraved Smith Model 60 ID Needed

I picked up this Smith and Wesson Model 60 from a friend. It was number 676 of the first production run and was produced in 1969. The story is it was sent off for engraving right after the guy bought it new in 69. Anyone recognize the work? I searched over the gun and under the grips and do not see any initials. Thanks all :graver:

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
now that's what i was going to say. I have worked for two firearm manufactures one small, one large. When all is said and done the simple fact is to remove firearms of all types from all of the American public. Buzz words and terms fueled by the mass media, fed to the uninformed with little interest of looking at the facts for themselves. To much work to check up on the mass media for truth in reporting, or bias. I Have met the officer that developed criminal profiling. Once again transformed into Racial profiling by our media bias into history,And yes it works. And here is one that has been on the news just to day how the handling of the Ferguson protester was inappropriate? Really? i have never heard of a protest that had arson, looting, armed assault, just for starters. oh wait i think i am having fever with my seizure and fits to. sorry about the rant it just hits a nerve with me.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would like to bring this thread back to the original question.

As most of you know, I answer most of the "who done it" questions here. As FEGA historian, I also answer lots of these that come in directly to FEGA. That said, I'm lucky to have a batting average close to Pete Rose (.303) when there are no hallmarks or signatures.

In this case, I've struck out. Unlike scrollwork, oak leaf engraving is quite generic and with few exceptions (like Weldon Lister's outstanding high relief oak leaf) I can't tell one engraver's work from another. Most oak leaf (eichenlaub)
I have seen was done in Germany but the work on the gun in question does not look typical of Austria or Germany to me.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Maybe the person who did this job is on this forum and will recognize it.

RB

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
When my former boss (RIP) was robbed in the 1980's, he asked the FBI what was the best handgun for self defense. The answer was unequivically a .25 semi auto. The reason was that if you miss, a larger caliber can exit the building and strike a bystander. Being robbed would not excuse the shooting of someone else. He bought 2 of the Beretta Bobcats in .25. My own choice is the Keltec .32, still a very small caliber but a little more stopping power. I have never had to use any of them, and hope I never will, but as the saying goes, "When every second counts, the police are just minutes away"!

Andrew Biggs

Okay, I'm stepping into this one as a moderator.

Could we stick to the original subject on this one please!!!!!

Every time we get into the subject of guns and their use (other than engraving them) it always goes pear shaped.

If you want to discuss gun ownership, self defence and all the rest of it please find another suitable forum for it. Anywhere but here!!!!

Cheers
Andrew

I would like to bring this thread back to the original question.

As most of you know, I answer most of the "who done it" questions here. As FEGA historian, I also answer lots of these that come in directly to FEGA. That said, I'm lucky to have a batting average close to Pete Rose (.303) when there are no hallmarks or signatures.

In this case, I've struck out. Unlike scrollwork, oak leaf engraving is quite generic and with few exceptions (like Weldon Lister's outstanding high relief oak leaf) I can't tell one engraver's work from another. Most oak leaf (eichenlaub)
I have seen was done in Germany but the work on the gun in question does not look typical of Austria or Germany to me.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Maybe the person who did this job is on this forum and will recognize it.

RB

Thanks and If I find out who it was I will let you know for your records as well.

Latest posts

Sponsors