Question: I need you help!!

oliverfirewater

I am new to this site, and engraving. I would like to ask some help. On ideas what to buy!

For a vice tools to start making Hobo nickels...

Thank you!:cool:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
the forum helps those who make an effort to help themselves. coming on here requesting help from square one, without first making a diligent effort to avail yourself of the massive amount of info contained in the Tips Archive and many other threads will turn a lot of people off. people who would otherwise be very forthcoming with their vast knowledge.

the search function is your friend.

and btw- welcome to the Cafe!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if you're serious about hobos. go to lindsays' site. steve ellsworth has a tutorial there that's worth its weight !

oliverfirewater

I wanted to say thank you for the replies to my question. I hade just stumbled on this site, and was chomping at the bit to learn. Not clearly looking at the board. I find engraving a true art in it self...

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
I wanted to say thank you for the replies to my question. I hade just stumbled on this site, and was chomping at the bit to learn. Not clearly looking at the board. I find engraving a true art in it self...

if you choose to do this as other than a hobby, plan to spend a lot, i mean an enormous amount of time.
there's many aids available to learn and make life a bit easier, but only you can invest the time.

tjmoore

Confused

I am new to engraving. Spent the time and money to fly to Kansas. Went to grs school. Been engraving everyday since. When I got out of school I asked a few questions on this site only to get the same response this poor newby got. I no longer ask any questions and am scared to post any pics of my work because of response like the first one. This site is obviously for masters only

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
[ oliverfirewater ] Just saw your thread, I started carving coins about 18 years ago..My first tools cost about $3, not sure how much I,ve invested over the years..I added a 10x10 shop on to my house, with heating and cooling, carpet, lighting, etc..Then added a few thousand dollars worth of engraving tools..I would suggest you find a coin carver you can spend a day with and get a ideal what coin carving involves..If possible take a engraving class..

Last edited:

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
To "tjmoore". . .this site is for all of us. I am no "master" by any stretch of the imagination, as most of us probably aren't. If I think I can contribute something explanatory or otherwise meaningful to the forum, I'll do so. Every little bit helps, but I can understand the forum not wanting moochers. . .if you're really stuck with a problem, that's one matter. But, to soak up all you can, like a sponge, is another matter. It has to do with integrity, and morals. Decades ago, during an apprenticeship, a foreman told me to "think it out" first, and, if stuck, then come to him. . .he didn't want me to become a mental cripple like some others in the shop. Welcome to the forum, and, "think"!

tjmoore

I apriciate your words. And I do understand the difference in a moocher. I just hate to see someone just getting started to get a reply like mrm always gives. The new guy sayed he was chomping at the bit. I know that feeling and we need more new people like that.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I apriciate your words. And I do understand the difference in a moocher. I just hate to see someone just getting started to get a reply like mrm always gives. The new guy sayed he was chomping at the bit. I know that feeling and we need more new people like that.

once again, i'm only trying to encourage newbies to exercise a little initiative on their own first, not come here expecting to have everything spoonfed from square one. engraving is one of man's most demanding disciplines and if you can't commit to spending some time getting your big toe wet, i'm not going to help teach you to swim. sorry, but i see our entire society lapsing into an attitude of "can somebody do this for me?". in a previous thread, Fred Carter posted a link to an excellent video on "learned helplessness".

over the years i've also 'helped' many beginners by simply telling them to attend one of the GRS basic courses. they have that drill down pat.

another option is to seek out engravers who have expressed an interest in helping those who want some handholding from the get-go. if memory serves, Gerry Beathard was one who somewhat vehemently opposed my supposedly callous attitude. if anyone cares to contact him (he's a regular contributor here- currently, the "Made Worn" thread is his) I'm sure he will be more than generous with his time & expertise.

Jim Kelso

Elite Cafe Member
I suggest that if tomorrow there was to be no new content here forever, this forum would still stand as one of the 2 or 3 greatest resources for all engravers, from newbs to the best in the world. Ain't that somethin'!

(opinions will vary on top ranking, but that's really beside the point)

Dig in....

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
go to the site search function directly under the word café type in hobo nickel startup you'll be busy for a while. after that ask your questions, there are many of the best and most well know nickel cutter around on this site. You can private message them and get what you need from the top of the field. Fred