Help, please: Curved Inlay

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
what you inlaying into?

for me its the same as with a straight line inlay. use either onglette, round, or graver of choice (flats not work so well on curved lines), then either a chisel or knife edge graver to do the undercuts. chisel to do the nicks on the outside curve of the line, and knife edge on the inside curve of the line. if wanting to use knife edge in the outside edge of the curve then itll need a steeper heel angle so it doesn't just dive into the cut. you can cut a continuous line for the undercut do a series of nicks in alternating directions.

another idea.... cut line with round graver similar width as the wire inlaying, and depth about 1/2 that the of the wire diameter.
then go in alternating directions with a slightly narrower flat (30-35deg face 10deg heel) to raise barbs in the bottom and lock the inlayed wire in place

the rest is as usual for hammering in the wire of choice sand/stone and polish to desired finish.

you can give these a try or im sure others will share what works for them as well.

Last edited:

WSammut

I'm inlaying 22k rose gold into a Damascus ring for my wedding band. I like your 2nd way, in slightly familiar with the Brian Powley method and that sounds very similar. I'll give it a try.
Thanks

JohnR

Elite Cafe Member
Onglette is my choice of graver. It produces a tapered cut, the deeper you cut the wider the channel so you can easily go over your work until you get to the desired depth and width. Going over the cuts several times allows you to make those necessary corrections (oops) that happen. I start out cutting the pattern with a V graver because Im good with it and it makes a good pilot hole. Then move on to a small onglette to start it off with and as I get near the depth & width I change to an onglette that fits the channel width for the final cut. I use two size onglettes & multiple cuts because I believe in taking out the metal in small amounts and with precision. An error will cause you to re-due your channel with a larger one (more gold!). With a tapered cut I can easily do my undercut with a chisel (staggered for a small ring). This is my way and produces a very strong inlay. Hope it helps......John

Latest posts

Sponsors