pearl and steel

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
finally got around to posting the result of the pearl handled knife I posted layout sketches of.

in the pearl I used a C-max #1 onglette 50 face, 15 heel polished. for when I did use power assist, I was set around 5200spm using the monarch hand piece, but was mostly hand pushed. making several light passes with each line to carve in the gradual depth and taper without braking out chips and chunks. no getting in a hurry.

the background on the bolsters was frosted/textured using an old carbide bur that was then tapped on the 600 diamond wheel and used as a stippling tool lightly at 5200spm, so it just gives a soft frosted look. light pressure or itll start punching a bunch of little dimples.

constructive critique comments, and suggestions welcome.

thanks for looking.

DSCF2017.jpg

Betley Park

Quite a lovely design with beautiful flourish. To carry the design through into the handle , really makes the work appear to have room to breathe. I am a big fan of that style. Love your work!!

James Ashley

That background finish reminds me of a sandblast (which I really like). Only negative I can see for such a fine finish is it might show oily fingerprints etc very easily. But I think it looks fantastic!

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
That background finish reminds me of a sandblast (which I really like). Only negative I can see for such a fine finish is it might show oily fingerprints etc very easily. But I think it looks fantastic!

thanks. that sandblasted look is what I was going for. just soften it up and knock off the high polish to get the contrast. was a lot quicker this way rather than masking everything off to sand blast it.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That looks really great. I'm going to try my hand at engraving on some pearl soon. Sounds like the trick is not to take much in one pass. I really am impressed.

I've been fairly happy with the stipple from just taking a used bur and stippling with that. It would be a little darker than what you've got there but that would be alright.

You've done a really really cool design and that's a nice knife to start with.

Thank you for the close up sir. Nice work

Danae.

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
That looks really great. I'm going to try my hand at engraving on some pearl soon. Sounds like the trick is not to take much in one pass. I really am impressed.

I've been fairly happy with the stipple from just taking a used bur and stippling with that. It would be a little darker than what you've got there but that would be alright.

You've done a really really cool design and that's a nice knife to start with.

Thank you for the close up sir. Nice work

Danae.

grab you a scrap piece and go to it.... just don't get in too big of a hurry.. or drink too much coffee.
I usually stipple or remove backgrounds, but this one was telling me it wanted something different.
youre welcome for the close up

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
Very attractive work very well done and perfect for the "canvas".

thank you very much. I put a bit more into this than what the client was paying for, but he is a regular, will see the extra, and GREATLY appreciate it. also as you said... the canvas was perfect for it. :D