Shipping Advise

kuzcokelly

I've checked all the history here and have had no luck finding any info on shipping alternatives to keep the cost down. Does anyone by chance know of a "least expensive" shipping option to Melbourne,Australia? I have checked with USPS,UPS,and Fed-Ex. Jeez what a pricey thing to need to do!
Thanks all.

Brant

Elite Cafe Member
Call a freight shipping company. They have agents that will guide you through the export paperwork and packing, customs is a real pain. True freight shipping is usually much more affordable.

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
Kuzcokelly,

You might think shipping from the US is expensive (I have just outlaid A$100- for freight for a parcel from Rio) but I guarantee that if the same parcel was going the other way the cost would be a whole lot more - found this out from an incorrectly described Ebay purchase which I returned straight away.

Roger

James Ashley

Yep I'm the same. Try getting stuff to Tassie! Bass striaght is the most expensive piece of water in the world. Overall even with reasonably high freight from the US its still heaps cheaper than the price gouging tool company we have here in AUS.

Andrew Biggs

Bite the bullet and pay for it from the supplier. It's just part of doing business.

If you arrange shipping and insurance and something happens to the goods, then you have to get everything sorted with the freight/courier company........... and the supplier has no responsibility. Getting compensated buy a freight/courier company is hard work even with insurance.

However, most reputable suppliers will have a relationship with their carrier company so they have some clout with them............and a reputable supplier will immediately replace the goods.

Freight is expensive to our part of the world and the trouble is that some of the things we buy are heavy and/or bulky. Both of which you pay for.

If it's a small order, then add a few bits and pieces that you want to make the freight worth while.

Sometimes the cheapest way can be the most fraught and not worth the effort if things go pear shaped.

Cheers
Andrew

James Ashley

I may of been a bit harsh in my last post as I have been dealing with an issue with our local GRS agent. Bought a powerhone then found it listed on there website for $520 less than I paid. Needless to say I was mad as hell. Anyway sorted now and I think Andrew in general is right. Suck it up and buy local where you can. But I have to admit that buying a pack of 10 cmax gravers off ebay for listed GRS price with only $12 for postage was too tempting for me!

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
Apologies to kuzokelly for the thread getting off track,

James,

I have no doubt that you have considered that the $520- difference takes into account the exchange rate, freight could easily account for $70- even when sent with a number of items and lastly the GST. The main benefit is that if something goes wrong you will only have to send something to Melbourne or Sydney instead of the US.

Roger

James Ashley

:rolleyes:This was on the AUS suppliers website Roger! But its sorted now :) If it was the difference between the GRS website and the price I paid it would of been just under a grand.

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
If it is small enough, and you know someone who is over here in the states, they could bring it back with them.

I know of someone over here who will be traveling back to Melbourne in a week, if it is small enough, I can ask him for you. The worst that can happen is he says no.

Mike

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors