Question: bench streches

WSammut

Does anyone have any articles on good stretches for long periods at the bench? I've had a massive knot between my spine and left shoulder blade for years and I get some type of nerve shot type thing all the way up my arm sometimes when engraving for a long time.
Thanks,
Jay

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Get some physical therapy. The therapist will give you exercizes to pinpoint the possible source of your problem.

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
Jay:
I'll agree and suggest you do an on-line search on stretching exercises for office workers. Also look at exercises to avoid carpel tunnel. The internet is full of both.
Also consider setting your bench up so you can stand as well as sit. Varying your position helps.

Personally, my favorite stretching exercise involves a cane pole, a cricket and a chair at my pond. Option 2 is a walk around the yard w/ a tennis ball soaked in quail smell and the bird dogs.
Also, a good workout (running/lifting) each day really helps.

Dan

DAK4442

Elite Cafe Member
I use a Teeter Hang-Up inversion table after long stints in either of my shops. It's amazing how it applies mild traction the my spine. An added benefit is that it floods my brain with blood while I'm inverted making me much smarter.....ok ...maybe not?

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
DAK4442,I have a Teeter Hang-up table and love it,also stand most of the time while engraving. J.J.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i never had faith in the art of the chiropractic. that is, until i met the right one ! this dude works magic on my back pain. amazingly, he doesn't torture me in doing the procedure. the best thing of all, when a flareup occurs, he takes me in the very same day. the relief is nearly instant. ymmv, but it's worth a try.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If the pain is on the front of the shoulder, running parallel to the collar bone just before the ball joint. Moves down the arm to the hand and causes the fingers to feel a bit numb you may have neck issues. In my case I thought I dislocated the rotator cuff in my shoulder. Could not raise my arm. the nerve from and in my spinal cord was crushed. I lost more than three quarters of my spinal cord do to the bones wearing on the cord. Go see an orthopedist. Mine required a spinal fusion of vertebra 4, 5, 6, 7. Have now developed sever arthritis in lower back. Surgery failed for me but I have bone cancer any way and neck never fused like it was supposed to. Only thing keeping my head up is the muscle in my neck. Please make the call. Fred

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I went to an osteopath. North American trained- North American osteopaths are also MD's
Expensive. I think the consultation appntmnt was 300$ (cad tho. So savings tgere;). Follow up 175.
I figured all I had to lose was money. And maybe some pain.
Long story short, he got rid of a couple years old leg pain, gone in a week. Elbow pain largely alleviated.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
first thing every morning i walk into the kitchen, flip on the coffee, then hang from the edge of the sink. basically, holding the rim of the sink with both hands, i do a deep squat until my fanny almost touches the floor. it stretches out everything from my shoulders to lower back, even calves & thighs. after a minute or so i'll twist my body right & left. remember to take deep breaths.

i also do a yoga class every week and see a chiro a couple times a year. getting old ain't for sissies.

phil

Elite Cafe Member
Heeeeheeee. Mitch it is a good job you aren't over here in old blighty. That sentence sure has a different meaning over here. I will still be chuckling over that sentence next year.:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Sponsors